Current time: 04-20-2014, 06:26 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Growth beyond 1 account
04-09-2008, 04:09 AM
Growth beyond 1 account
Hi folks.

Just wondering about scalability. If I should fill my web serving account past that which it can serve, how do I grow it? Can I "bind" more than 1 together?

Cheers

BeeRich, Toronto, The Beach
Web, Wireless & Database
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2008, 04:34 AM
Growth beyond 1 account
I'm unsure about 'binding' but I've noted that people have been able to hold more than one account here (you have to get Support to set this up for you if you use the same credit card). I guess you could treat one account as a slave to the other by setting it up so the primary domain leeches of the secondary. Don't know if this would be considered gaming the system tho as there are guidlines in place suggesting that any overage in bandwidth and storage is charged separately.

Your best bet would be to contact Support and ask them directly Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Growth beyond 1 account
The TOS say 1 account per person, or termination of both.

Quote:The Customer agrees to hold only one (1) active web hosting service plan at any given time with DreamHost Web Hosting. Signing up for multiple plans is grounds for termination of all plans, including the first one, without warning.
While this isn't likely to be enforced if you have two lightly used accounts, for the purpose of keeping them separate... I'd guess they're not going to let people pin resources on multiple accounts... if they catch it.

The reason they can offer that much is because most people don't use it and it pays for those that do.

Dedicated hosts do the same thing when you try to add another 1,000 GB of bandwidth to a dedicated server. It ends up being cheaper to order multiple dedicated servers than adding resources to one.

The good part is that a dedicated server company isn't going to tell you to not keep buying servers, but doing the same in a shared environment affects other users.

--------------------------------------------------------
Tongue Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user