Current time: 04-24-2014, 11:13 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bitrates
03-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Bitrates
Greetings:

Just wondering if anyone can advise what kind of reliable bitrates have been experienced for Flash videos. Could I expect higher ones from a dedicated server, here at Dreamhost?

The bandwidth sure is enough for what I have in mind, though.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Find all posts by this user
03-31-2008, 01:41 AM
Bitrates
Not sure I know the answer but you have a great name! Smile

Being a shared server system the bitrate is not laid down and varies between 0 and ~ depending on what your fellow DreamHosters are doing.

For certain you are not going to be able to run a 'YouTube' clone.

Clearly a dedicated server should be more reliable. Contact DreamHost support and see what they say.

All I can say is that flash videos run well enough.

Here's one of my new lodger. Big Grin

http://norm1037.com/flash/mouse/mouse3.html

--
Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts'.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! Angry

You act on my advice at your own risk!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Bitrates
Well, it played very smoothly indeed! I am a bit obsessed with getting smooth playback. 29.97 fps. Second would be good picture quality, but total lack of stuttering is the holy grail, at least for me!
May I ask, what kind of video camera did you capture this with, and what software was involved in the following steps to get it to flash? Did you use the online encoser that Dreamhost provides? I have Adobe CS3 as well as Onyx Pro. My source is output from a Canon HD-capable tape-based camcorder.

But your clip show here is very very smooth. I am having problems with that, and playing around with deinterlace and no deinterlace, and other stuff, hasn't helped. I got smoother video from a capture S-VHS and VHS tape material through a capture card. But now we use these digital cameras.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you think Dreamhost boxes can stream 1 mbp/s? Maybe 3 simultaneous streams at any one time.

Thanks in advance,
Norm1153
03-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Bitrates
I used a JVC DV camera connected via DV cable to a DVD recorder. I was going to use a Sony which has an infra-red light. But in a quick test I made, the nightscope mode just picked up too much reflection of the infra-red light and burned out the subject. So I just used the JVC and left two fluorescent lights on!

Fortunately the mouse appeared and finished off the food in the first half hour so I did not have to wade through the full six hours of the DVD.

I extracted the mpeg2 from the DVD and edited back to mpeg2 with VideoStudio 11.

The 24MB file was then encoded to a 4MB 480x270 flash file using the DreamHost flash facilities. The DreamHost utility maintained the 16:9 aspect which was then squished to 4:3 when I uploaded the flash to YouTube. Smile

It is still going to be difficult to say what bitrate could be maintained because of the varying loads on the shared system. It certainly would not be anywhere near 1 mbp/s I should imagine.

DreamHost does have a Darwin Streamer where you can stream in the Quicktime format. But can be fiddly to set up. See the DreamHost wiki here.

They also have support for progressive HTTP download of Real Media and Windows Media. Again in the wiki here.

--
Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts'.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! Angry

You act on my advice at your own risk!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Bitrates
OK, interesting. Thanks!