Zone Record? I want to host here, but not mail

Hi,

This would seem like a simple problem, I just can’t figure out the solution. :frowning:

I have a domain registered@Moniker.com…I know where to go to set the custom zone record, but I don’t know what I’m setting up wrong!

I would like all the mail to go through our in-house servers, but I want the actual website to be hosted @ Dreamhost.

My mail is working fine, coming through well.

Here is my current zone record, with the settings I thought would be correct:

Type Host Address
A @ 208.97.162.188
A * 208.97.162.188
A www 208.97.162.188
A mail our.in.house.ip
MX @ mail.ourdomainname.com

What have I done wrong? What needs to be fixed to achieve what I’m looking for (in-house mail, but site hosted on DH). Thank you very much in advance!

-Justin

208.97.162.188 what is this IP address?

Are you trying to point to DH? If so, I’ll suggest you to modify your DNS because we are on a shared server and IP address may change any time.

You may want to read this article on how to transfer your site to DH.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Hi Mr. Tan,

Thanks for the reply! I believe 208.97.162.188 is a Runts box, I believe I found the IP on the web panel somewhere.

I’m well aware of how to simply point a domain name here using (ns1/ns2/ns3).dreamhost.com…I just don’t know how to host the website here, but operate the email somewhere else.

I’ve since changed 208.97.162.188 to 66.33.206.206 in my Zone Record, but it doesn’t appear to have remedied the problem.

I’m quite positive there must be a way to do this, and a simple one at that, I just can’t figure it out. :frowning:

Thanks in advance for any help anyone out there can provide.

-Justin

If you’re having trouble and want to try an alternative, you could set the nameservers to Dreamhost’s nameservers and just set the custom DNS records for the mail server and MX records here at Dreamhost.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

You are welcome. Hope we can work it out.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/KB_/Domains/Transfers/_Transfer_Hosting
This article tells how to transfer a site to DH.

Basically you will need to:

1. add domain to DH via DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> Add Domain/Sub-Domain

2. after the domain is added to DH, a directory will be created automatically. You can upload your files to this directory.

3. although you have uploaded your files, no one can visit your site because DNS is not pointed to DH yet. To visit your site before DNS change, you create a free subdomain like subdomain.dreamhosters.com and mirror it to your domain. Now you can visit your site via http://subodomain.dreamhosters.com

4. check your site. if everything is ok, change your DNS and point it to DH. After DNS finishes propagating, everything is done.

5. if you want to host email elsehwere, just change the MX record via DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> DNS

The article mentioned above gives more detailed information.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thanks for all the help, I’ve set the nameservers to DH and set up the custom MX for mail, everything has propagated successfully.

I was trying to keep the nameserver at my registrar, and set custom IPs for the Zone Record, (A Record…MX…etc etc), just wasn’t working out.

Thanks again!

Welcome to DH!

I’m glad that everything is working for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think my question is the same…:

I have a great DNS hosting company, they’ve managed my domains for 4 years and I like using them for DNS. I came over to DreamHost soley for a place to host my website. I used to host my own, but I’d rather outsource it. Ta’da… here I am.

DreamHost seems to be mucking with my mail settings, by telling me that it setup an account myname@mydomain.com. I want it to leave my email alone. I also want to continue to use my existing DNS Hosting company for DNS. I have one company that hosts my mail (google aps for domain, actually), another one that just does domains, and I want DreamHost to be just a place to put web stuff.

Can I not setup my A Record, at the other DNS company, to simply point to a shared IP @ DreamHost and let DH’s webserver resolve it as a named virtual host?

Or am I required to move my otherwise perfectly fine DNS service to DH too? (Not to say DH wouldn’t be a good DNS company, but when I’ve got a bunch of domains already at another company and like it there, I don’t want to move if I don’t have to.)

Thanks

[quote]Can I not setup my A Record, at the other DNS company, to simply point to a shared IP @ DreamHost and let DH’s webserver resolve it as a named virtual host?

Or am I required to move my otherwise perfectly fine DNS service to DH too? (Not to say DH wouldn’t be a good DNS company, but when I’ve got a bunch of domains already at another company and like it there, I don’t want to move if I don’t have to.)[/quote]
Well, you can do it that way, although you’ll find it much more convenient to use Dreamhost’s nameservers for the domains that you want to host here.

You can do what you say - add the hosting here at dreamhost, look up the IP address that gets assigned to the domain, and put that as the A record for that domain. If you’re going to use the phpmyadmin for mysql, you’ll need to add that A record as well. Basically, you need to make sure that you add A records that match all the subdomain records that get set up for the domain at Dreamhost. You also need to make sure they stay in sync if the IP addresses change at Dreamhost. They don’t change that often, but it’s still just another thing to worry about keeping in sync.

Speaking of keeping these things in sync, you should realize that keeping DNS records in sync is what the whole DNS system is set up to do automatically. :slight_smile:

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!