"You should always have postmaster@domain"

"You should always have a valid postmaster@domain.com address or some domains may not accept email from you. " says panel Mail | Addresses now.

Can anyone refer me to evidence in support of this.

From RFC 2821:

Any system that includes an SMTP server supporting mail relaying or delivery MUST support the reserved mailbox “postmaster” as a case-insensitive local name.

The rfc-ignorant blacklist may list domains that do not have certain required role addresses.

Technically speaking, postmaster mail for DH-hosted domains should go to the DH postmaster, as they’re the ones responsible for the mail systems. Some hosts automatically set up certain addresses to go to them rather than the customer (eg, postmaster, abuse, root). DH does not.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Thanks, but no evidence of “or some domains may not accept email from you” seen there! :wink:

Further, I’ve not seen evidence of anyone rejecting mail one the basis on a postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org listing, but if anyone has, I’d be interested to know.

If you check your domain on http://www.dnsreport.com and mail to postmaster is not being accepted it will tell you that it is required and list 3 RFC’s regarding the subject. It may not say that without postmaster@yourdomain accepting mail your mail may be rejected in those exact words, but its there…

The default SpamAssassin configuration checks the RFC-Ignorant lists. While you may not find your mail blocked outright, being listed will contribute to the score.

In practice, no one is going to care if a virtually-hosted domain has these role mailboxes or not. Anyone looking for an abuse or postmaster contact for your domain will look up your MX record and use the abuse/postmaster info of the company hosting your services.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

[quote]It may not say that without postmaster@yourdomain accepting mail your mail may be rejected

[/quote]

It certainly doesn’t at the moment - it says “Cannot find server or DNS Error” :wink:

[quote]default SpamAssassin configuration

[/quote]

Ah, now that is evidence. Thanks.

[quote]In practice, no one is going to care if a virtually-hosted domain has these role mailboxes or not.

[/quote]

Indeed. Silly SA.

Sourceforge checks if postmaster@ is accepted (not whether or not it actually goes to a real person) by the mail server for a domain, and won’t let people subscribe to lists if it’s not. This causes some support headaches - I imagine this is one of the reasons that reminder is there.

Thanks for the URL manic.

I wonder whether this has made me any good.
One of my domain registered from the very beginning at DH PASSes about all tests but the abuse and postmaster issues.

The other has been recently transferred to DH (as registrar) . It warns me about “parent glues” that I had never heard about before.
Now I feel bad about that, because I can’t do anything to fix it… :slight_smile:

Of so, it would be nice if the reminder said so - it cites very different grounds.

BTW, how about keeping panel clutter down by not inclusing that reminder that postmaster@ is needed on an Addresses listing that has a postmaster@ address?

would a catch-all email address suffice as a "postmaster@domain.com" email address? Or do you NEED to create a user account just for postmaster?

Also, if you set the emails coming into postmaster@domain.com to bounce, will that effect the rfc-ignorant list?

:slight_smile:

Yes, it should suffice, just as long as the domain accepts mail for postmaster.

You don’t really have to create a mailbox for postmaster, on some of my domains I have just created a postmaster address (no mailbox) and forwarded it to an existing mailbox.

I think the domain should at least accept mail for postmaster, bouncing the mail would effectively be the same as not having the address in the first place.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )