You can check in, but you can't check out

I’m in the process of moving all my domains off this rapidly sinking ship. Back in the last round of problems, I asked tech support to set the TTL on all my domains down to five minutes. They claimed they’d done it.

So now that DH mail is buggered (again), I set up pair.com to receive my mail and redelegated the domain. Surprise, surprise, dreamhost have lied to me, and left TTL at their (ludicrously high) default of TWO DAYS. So now my mail, and my visitors, are getting split 50/50 between two places. Wonderful.

Newbies beware - your curiosity will cost you two days of confusion when you decide to bail.

Agreed. The two day TTL is causing havoc w/ me trying to get ALL my sites moved.

Hint: Site5.com I wont even post an affiliate link. So people don’t think Im trying to make a buck.

My last tech support email to site5 (It was my fault, I dont yet understand cpanel) was read, fixed, and return email in 4 Minutes. when I bragged about that in their forums a long tme user joked “Someone musta been napping, I usualy don’t have to wait that long.”

But ya know the nicest thing? cpanel changes don’t take “30 min to 2 hours” to take effect. They are immidiate (except for DNS propogation of course). Add an email account, bam you have an email account. Not wait 30-120 Min and see if it worked, or you need to submit a tech suppoert ticket.

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting - Last one out, turn off the lights.

Good luck trying to get your host (with Cpanel) to make their own additions to it. Yes it’s a huge bonus to have this ability but you’ll be waiting a while before your cpanel gets updated and then it might not have things you want.
That’s what I like about DH. You can vote on things you want even if it might take a while for thigns to change.

I have been using other hosts with CPanel. I like DreamHost’s own web control panel, but one major downside is this immediate activation. And to be fair, most decent hosts would update their CPanel to the latest version very quickly; and as far as I know, their developers also “listen” to users.

Having said that, it’s not nice to mention DreamHost’s competitors by the names on their own forum: it’s simple netiquette and common courtesy. As a long-time client (of 5 years+), I just hope they could get over this quickly, and keep the couple of things that make them stand out: reliability and good support.

GungHost.com :: DreamServers.net :: DreamRegistrar.com

[quote]Having said that, it’s not nice to mention DreamHost’s competitors by the names on their own forum

[/quote]

Ill give you that, except they have made leaving an absolute nightmare. I should have been long gone by now, but at every turn DH makes it more and more difficult. Now, I have one host mysteriously down (for the customers who are still pointed to DHs DNS server), and it wont be resolved till the TTL times out and it gets pointed to my new host.

You can look at the progression of my posts here. From happy to frustrated in 2 months.

-Jason

MP3Mystic Your personal Streaming MP3 Server
Dreamhost Hosting - Last one out, turn off the lights.

Our default TTL is actually 4 hours. If your domain’s TTL was set to 2 days something was not right with it.

I can’t say for sure why your TTL change request was not handled properly, but it’s definitely not something we get asked to do a lot so there may be some lack of experience in dealing with it among some of our support staff.

Edit: I was informed that we have the 2 day time set on the NS records for the domain even though the TTL itself is set to 4 hours. That means that any changes made to your DNS on our servers would update quickly but changing the nameserver records (as you were doing) would take 2 days as you saw. It most likely also explains why our changing your TTL to 5 minutes did not have the desired effect. It is still possible that our support lied to you, but I doubt it. :sunglasses:

Edit 2: We have now updated the TTL on NS records to be the same 4 hours as we set for the whole zone. That 2 day setting was left over from when root server zone changes took longer than they do now.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Honcho

Many web panel changes will actually happen within a few minutes, but not all. Our newer services are being written to better take advantage of our increased back-end server power but the older services have not all been updated. We realize that the delays are an annoyance and reducing them as much as possible is one of our development priorities currently.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Honcho

Here Here.

I soooooooo agree.

You can check in, but you cannot check out.
Don’t believe it?

Set up a dummy domain, then try and cancle service with these nit-wits. And I promise you you will soon see the depth of their rudeness, ineptitude and lunacy.

My domain is STILL tied up with these idiots.

Welcome to the Moe, Larry and Curly internet service:
DeamHost

Sheeeeshh.
DreamHost stinks, baby.

Father, when did you cancel your service with dreamhost? Last week, yesterday? Did you cancel, or did they get rid of you? Was your site illegal?

Well, i doubt you would ACTUALLY be honest about any answers to the above questions.

But, your posts are funny. reminds me of a guy I knew who didn’t take his meds one week.

Quote:
"Father, when did you cancel your service with dreamhost? "

Father Luke’s Reply:
Been a couple days?

Quote:
“Last week, yesterday? Did you cancel, or did they get rid of you? Was your site illegal?”

Father Luke’s Reply:
See for yourself if my site is illegal:
www.FatherLuke.com

Don’t know if they canceled me,
or if I cancled them. It was mutual.

Quote:
“Well, i doubt you would ACTUALLY be honest about any answers to the above questions.”

Father Luke’s Reply:
Your name Thomas by any chance? (wink)

Quote:
“But, your posts are funny. reminds me of a guy I knew who didn’t take his meds one week.”

Father Luke’s Reply:
That’s because you post while looking in a mirror.

The Truth is true:
They have my domain tied up.

NS1.TERA-BYTE.COM 216.234.161.11
NS2.TERA-BYTE.COM 216.234.161.12
NS3.TERA-BYTE.COM 204.209.56.2

your nameservers are not on DH’s account!

I got this letter when I sent in my payment to my registrar:

“…we were unable to renew due to recieved a
notice this domain is pending transfer away from us.”

DreamHost - Hijacking Domain Names since. . . ?

And as to the nasty crack about meds:

That is the mentality of the e-mails I receive from DreamHost when I ask for technical support, or if I have questions I wish to ask them:

“Don’t ask questions - take your meds!”

Go figure.
What amounts to asswipes in front of computers is what DreamHost’s technical service is, friends.

See there for yourself.

CAUTION:

DreamHost - Serving themselves to your money, time and patience since. . . ?

Yes, I am sorry, the crack was rude.

Your name servers are on another server now. If you transferred your domain name to Dreamhost last week, I think you have to wait 2 months to transfer it out ICAAN rules. I could be wrong though.

A point to remember, you don’t have to transfer your name to every host you go to…transfer it, when you can, to godaddy, or someone. Then you can just point your nameservers to your host…that way, this won’t happen to you again.

Quote:

Yes, I am sorry, the crack was rude.

Your name servers are on another server now. If you transferred your domain name to Dreamhost last week, I think you have to wait 2 months to transfer it out ICAAN rules. I could be wrong though.

A point to remember, you don’t have to transfer your name to every host you go to…transfer it, when you can, to godaddy, or someone. Then you can just point your nameservers to your host…that way, this won’t happen to you again.

This is the level of expertise a new person can expect from DreamHost:

Wise cracks
a missunderstanding of the problem
and apologies rather than solutions.

My domain expires soon.
I cannot renew because DreamHost has hijacked it.

Caution to anyone trying DreamHost.

Buyer beware…

[quote]This is the level of expertise a new person can expect from
DreamHost:

[/quote]

FYI, gonewthewind doesn’t work here, but is just another DH customer. The forums are, for the most part, not “staffed” in any way by DH employees. That’s not the purpose of these forums.

[quote]My domain expires soon.
I cannot renew because DreamHost has hijacked it.

[/quote]

My understanding - which is somewhat incomplete on this topic, admittedly - is that this is because you’re trying to transfer the registration, but due to ICANN regulations (something that annoys us as well, but cannot be changed) you can’t change registrars within 60 days of a registrar change.

The domain is still owned by you, and can be pointed to any web host you’d like. In your case, it appears that this has already occurred. While this is definitely sub-optimal, the domain certainly hasn’t been “hijacked”.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Um your domain is registered to
The Padre, Father Luke Renegade.Preacher@gmail.com
Somewhere in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95060
US
555-555-1212

…registered BY

The Double Cross Monastery
Somewhere in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95060
US

…and your name servers point to…

tera-byte.com

…you’re NOT hosted on Dreamhost.

Couple of points:

1. Your domain’s registered at Tucows. Dreamhost hasn’t been using them for a while. Ergo, what’s this about you being with DH for a week?

2. There’s no mention of Dreamhost as the registrar.

3. Your domain registration information is invalid. If someone were to report your domain for invalid registration information, you may lose your domain.

4. The whole thing smells awfully lot like a spammer.

It’s also worth noting that ICANN requires valid contact information in domain registration records, which the poster in question does not provide.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

That would be 3.

:slight_smile:

So it is!

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.