Yet another remote includes question

software development

I know the URL file-access issue has been discussed at great, great length. I assume there’s not going to be any way to convince Dreamhost to enable it, so I’m looking for alternatives.

My main problem is that I am porting from another server (rather than creating from scratch) and I have a lot of files with a lot of includes and references, including some on other servers. I’m quite used to using PHP includes to assemble pages.

Is there a way for me to use cURL to get around this globally? I have been scratching my head a bit and can’t figure out how it would be done. Am I going to have to edit hundreds of files by hand?

I would like to add that this is a potential showstopper for me - if I can’t figure out an easy way to do this, I may cancel my DH hosting and stay put where I am/was.

Why don’t you just compile your own version of PHP? Then you won’t have to change anything.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

What an excellent idea, thank you. Perhaps this could be added to the DH wiki page about the allow_url_fopen issue.

Also an excellent idea. Done.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog