xmoovServer and mod_rewrite?

apps

I have installed xmoovServer on one of my dreamhost fully hosted domains. When I run the helper script it warns that it can’t detect the Apache rewrite module but it needs to be on for using xmoovServer. Since I read in the wiki that mod_rewrite is on by default for all accounts, I ignored it and ran one of their tests, but it fails because mod_rewrite is off!

Something must be wrong with the tests — mod_rewrite is always enabled for all DreamHost domains, as we use it internally (e.g, for rewriting www to non-www and vice versa, and for phpMyAdmin redirects).

hmmm… running the example fails. Does mod_rewrite work with htaccess files? They have a configuration for htaccess:

RewriteEngine on RewriteRule ^([^/]*)$ index.php?file=$1 [QSA]

The tests page is located at: http://www.isaacrivera.com/xshelper/

It’s been a while since I’ve set up xmoovstream, but your htaccess directive needs to be in the domain folder, not the xmoovstream folder: /home/isaacriv/www.isaacrivera.com/xshelper/

Hey thanks bobcat. Yeah the .htaccess file containing the text below as per xmoov’s instructions is in the domain’s root folder. It does not work. I can’t even get xmoov-php to work. I got the flv and everything, but it throws about a dozen php errors, not sure if its because I have php 5.3 installed, but it’s supposed to be compatible.

SCRIPT CREATED BY WEBUNE.COM

THIS WORKS WITH rewrite.php FILE

READ MORE AT: http://www.webune.com/forums/how-to-test-check-if-mod-rewrite-is-enabled-t40.html

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^link([^/]*).html$ rewrite.php?link=$1 [L]

My installation is still working, although I haven’t touched it in a year or so. It’s using php 5.2.x CGI. See if that works. I notice that it’s using some functions which are deprecated in 5.3.

try setting up a fresh subdomain with 5.2 and drop the xmoovstream folder in it. It should give you a working installation.

Hey thanks again. It was the deprecated functions in 5.3 that was messing up the whole thing. I suppressed php deprecation errors and now it works like a charm.

Thanks for your feedback.

Isaac