WTF - hello support

OK. My site has been down since last night. I’ve opened 3 tickets, including one with a callback request. Nothing - not even an automated response to any of them. My server isn’t showing up as a PS server either.

So, what do you do when support won’t even respond?

Did you change anything of your website?

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Was it a PS server for a while and and now it’s not? Are you in the middle of changing it over to a PS server? Are you in the middle of changing it [to] a regular server from a PS server?

(have you considered posting in General Troubleshooting, where you might get more help from other expert customers?)

The fact that there’s no automated response is a bad sign. You’ve checked your email settings and your panel support history, right? Do you have your support email set to your Dreamhost account? Most people generally recommend setting it to an external email account since that way, it’s easier to correspond with support about any problems that interfere with email delivery on your account.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Nope, nope and nope. Nothing new.

What makes you think it’s no longer a PS server? I’m just asking because I got confused the first time I saw that I could also sign up for a mysqlps server.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

It doesn’t appear in my panel for ps servers. I just tried ssh’ing to it, and it said the host doesn’t exist.

Still, not a single response from support.

I never get an automated response until it’s been 24 hours, and I don’t think his not getting one in less than 24 hours means anything at all. :wink:

–rlparker

Let me guess. You are on a PS server and your server is down. Is that right?

Which server are you in? There is an issue on hubmobile server as stated in DreamHost Status. Are you affected because of that?

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

That was my take on it as well.

Response time is dependant upon the current queue. If they can’t get back to you in 24 hours then an automated response will be sent out to let you know your query hasn’t been dropped and that it is still in the queue awaiting response. Duplicating queries to support won’t make response times faster.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

It would help if you had asked this question in the proper forum area, or even learned to be a bit more patient.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

I’m venting, and, to some extent, trying to figure out what my options are when support doesn’t even respond. And more patient? Are you kidding me? No response (none, not even an automated email), in 24 hours, and I’m not being patient enough? Get real…

Since you ask. I usually I go and boil an egg and sit down and read a book.

Alien Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK! :@

Act on my advice at your own risk!

This is not the right forum section to “vent”. And DreamHost make no guarantees about response time, although the try to get responses in within 24 hours if they can. Have you sent multiple tickets for the same thing? That would probably get you moved to the back of the queue.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Oh please. It’s not like I went off on some tangent. And my question is very legit - what do you do when support doesn’t even respond? And if submitting multiple tickets get you pushed back, then their whole process needs to be re-examined.

If everyone started spamming support as hard as possible in order to be “noticed”, the whole system would bog down and nobody would end up getting any help at all because the support techs would be too busy sorting through thousands of duplicate tickets.

Some combination of talking to cute girls on IRC and doing homework for one of my classes. More broadly, I just go do something else for a while.

One pattern I’ve noticed about Dreamhost support which I’ve experienced personally and seen to a degree here on the forum is that when it comes to technical issues, they tend to wait until they’ve fixed the problem before writing a response. I have no idea if that’s a policy of theirs or just the way things seem to work, but it is someting I’ve noticed. As a technically oriented person myself, I can appreciate this; that time spent saying “I’m looking into your problem” is time that I could be using to actually look into the problem instead.

If it’s been a few days and you still haven’t heard back, then it’s probably reasonable to submit another support ticket. Also, if you’re trying to debug the problem yourself and you happen to find some information that might be important, I’d probably send off another note that includes the new information. But otherwise, as they say, patience is a virtue.

I agree. And opening multiple tickets probably wasn’t the right way to go, but it still begs the question - what to do when support isn’t responding? Sit there an wait? I’m not talking a response within minutes, or even multiple hours, but when its more than 12 hours… Me thinks that’s more than a reasonable expectation

I think an automated response within 12 hours is more than reasonable, otherwise, I have no idea if they are even aware of my problem. An automated response at least lets me know that their own systems are working.

And I think the general answer is that, yes, sitting and waiting for a couple of days is the best thing to do even if it, quite understandibly, makes you a bit uncomfortable.

Also, I notice you never answered if you’re part of the hupmobile issue. I’ve noticed that sometimes when a particular issue affects a large number of users, support will treat the status blog as a sort of mass reply to all rather than answering individual tickets. While that may not be the best practice, it does constitute a response to your ticket if you’re affected by that particular issue.

[quote]…what to do when support isn’t responding? Sit there an wait? I’m not talking a response within minutes, or even multiple hours, but when its more than 12 hours… Me thinks that’s more than a reasonable expectation

I think an automated response within 12 hours is more than reasonable…[/quote]
You are certainly entitled to think what you want to think, but there is nothing magic about “12 hours” - DreamHost endeavors to answer tickets within 24 hours (though for me, they are usually much faster than that), but they don’t guarantee that.

Sending multiple tickets only “asserbates” the situation with the support queue, and running to the “Curious About DreamHost” forum to “vent” is not an appropriate outlet for your impatience or frustration.

–rlparker

I wasn’t part of the hupmobile problem. Apparently my ps server was “misconfigured”. (I think someone deleted it, but that’s just my opinion).

I understand what the agreements are that I signed up for. I don’t think venting a little (and it was only a little) and asking for suggestions are a bad thing. It lets people know what is going on and it keeps companies honest.

I don’t think it’s realistic for anyone to be expected to live in the dark for 24+ hours (days? that’s just nuts) and expect them to just wait patiently. I work in IT, and that’s just not accepted.

Anyway, my server is up. I’m happy for now, and hopefully this will be a rare occurrence.

Yeah, I know you don’t see a problem with your choice of forums, and I commented on it in another post, so there is no need for me to repeat that comment here.

Asking for suggestions is more appropriately done in a different forum (like “General Troubleshooting?”), but since you “work in IT”, you likely know that, so that’s a bit disingenuous.

The “venting” in this forum because “it lets people know what is going on and it keeps companies honest” is more on point with regards to your choosing to post your whine about the timeliness of your support response in this forum - and as I said before, I’ve commented on that elsewhere.

I’m glad you got you server back online.

–rlparker