WP install failure

My one-click Word Press install does not work. Every time I try, I get the following error, and nothing I do seems to fix it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

We were unable to set up wordpress as requested at:
http://www.gigamonk.com/

The problem was directory /home/usrname/gigamonk.com is not empty!
Please re-install, specifying an empty (or new) directory.

Please correct this and go to our web panel and re-submit your
wordpress installation request.

Thanks, and sorry about that!
The Happy DreamHost Installer Robot

The gigamonk.com directory is not empty, just like the message says. Did you try removing all of the files and directories in it?

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

I just put those files a short while ago, after the 3 failed WP installs, to see if I get even a normal html page to work. It didn’t. I’ll delete these files now, but experience sez the WP will fail again, as before. (As it did–I just tried it again for time #4)

Part of the puzzle for me over the past 24 hours has been that according to the display when I access FTP, the gigamonk folder has no files in it . . . but the error message sez there are files in it. In fact, I did 2 of the WP installs after deleting all my domains and databases entirely & then adding gigamonk afresh.

So in short–even when my file list says there are no files in the folder, the error message says that there are file there. Also, I’ve found that even though I’ve deleted 2 other domains, those files still remain hours later. Is there anyway I can simply start anew, because I can’t erase files that I can’t see.

Thanks!

If it says there are files there then most likely there are. IT depends on what ftp program you are using, but most of them have a setting to “See hidden files”.

e.g. (from another thread I found) “Your FTP program should let you toggle the setting to be able to see hidden files. In FileZilla, it’s in the menu under View > Show hidden files.”

Hope that helps.

-Peter

Want to save? Use promo code sweetdream25 and save $25 instantly. Pick your plan from this chart and join us.

Unfortunately, even with “show hidden files” clicked, opening the folder produces an “empty directory listing” message. Everything says it’s empty except the Happy Dreamhost Robot!

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

DreamTeam + board folks–

Thanks for the help in resolving this & answering all my questions!

–JAT

What ftp program are you using and are you using any htaccess files?

David