Would This Happen Here?

I currently have a domain that is registered and hosted at another provider. Recently, some malicious person sent my hosting provider an email accusing me of using one of their copyrighted images on my site. The provider’s response was to immediately take my entire web site down while they “investigated” the allegations. My provider only emailed me to tell me there was a problem after taking my site offline. Thanks, a-holes. :frowning:

BTW, this is a really neat Denial-of-Service attack. Just accuse somebody you don’t like of copyright infringement and get their web site immediately taken offline for an indeterminate period of time while they struggle to prove their innocence. I realize the DMCA has everybody scared out of their minds, but surely there is a more reasonable way to handle such things…

Anyway, my question is this: is DreamHost as draconian as my current hosting provider? Or do the folks that run this place have some common sense and would at least give me a reasonable opportunity to correct such a problem before taking my web site offline?

Needless to say, I’m looking for a new hosting provider and registrar. Is this a reasonable one or should I keep looking?

Thanks for sharing your experience and helpful suggestions. :slight_smile:

While I haven’t heard of any such extreme example happening at Dreamhost, I also wouldn’t be too surprised. See, the laws in the US are kind of ridiculous, and the only way a hosting provider can avoid liability is to immediately nuke anything that causes a complaint. The “Safe Harbor” provision only protects the host and its other customers if they take down any infringing materials. You’ll either have to file a counter-notification that you do indeed have the rights to the content, or delete it from your servers and find something else to put there.

After searching through the forums here a bit, there seems to be an equal amount of complaints on both sides: “Dreamhost isn’t strict enough, the stolen content is still online!” vs “Dreamhost took down my sites over a silly DMCA complaint!”

If you want to blatantly steal content and run an illegal website, Dreamhost is definitely NOT the place to do it. Otherwise, they don’t seem any more aggressive about takedowns than other web hosts, and at least a few misunderstandings got cleared up allowing the accused sites to go back online.

[quote=“independent, post:2, topic:57461”]
While I haven’t heard of any such extreme example happening at Dreamhost, I also wouldn’t be too surprised. See, the laws in the US are kind of ridiculous, and the only way a hosting provider can avoid liability is to immediately nuke anything that causes a complaint.[/quote]

That’s what I was afraid of. Nuke first, ask questions later - regardless of whether or not the complaint has merit. The website owner may be 100% in the right, but an erroneous or malicious complaint can put the site out of service immediately. Then the burden of proof is on the website owner; guilty until proven innocent.

This might be tolerable if the support staff could be counted on to respond to trouble tickets in a timely manner, but from reading the other posts here it sounds like one’s nuked website could stay in limbo for a long time.

this is why you should always have a separate web host and domain name registrar. if your web host was sent a take down notice you would be able to change the dns to a backup location.

They’re the only webhost I saw that basically told Scientology to go fuck themselves when the Disciples of Xenu went on their worldwide DMCA-waving hush-up a few years back.