I know many feel that DreamHost is great; on the other hand, we have had trouble with them.
We are a business, and operate as a business and I'm not sure DreamHost is a real business or are prepared to work with real businesses.
1) We bought a full year of the Code Monster plan a couple of months ago, back when it a $400 plus and they have not bothered to credit our accounted at all.
2) We purchased the Code Monster primarily because we wanted phone support... just in case we needed it.
3) Our server has been going down or having problems a lot lately ( a couple of times a week in some cases ).
4) I sent in a support ticket requesting a return call because of the server problem and the billing thing.
5) They evidently tried to call us in the evening, again we are a business on EST, and they could not even get through to our office or after hour voicemail because they block their caller id – and we don’t allow caller id blocks into our office... and you shouldn’t either. Read the latest FCC rulings.
6) I did a little investigation and found out that DreamHost is not even listed in CA as a business, or a business with a business phone number. Also did a reverse lookup, based on their fax... it not list as a business number in CA.
7) I went to WhoIS and found a phone number with a Dallas Bethune listed. I called that number and it is nothing but VM... even if you opt for the operator or spell name feature. I have left 3 messages for Dallas Bethune... he has not ever called be back.
8) I responded to an email from someone by the name of John, giving him my cell phone number as well... I have not heard from him either.
So, buyers beware.
I think that for the person who's just throwing up a bunch of sites... DreamHost is probably fine.
But, if your site is mission critical... your lifeblood – I’m not so sure I would chose them now.
I'm still wait to hear back from someone.