Worst Junk Mail is at Dreamhost - Beware

I have two websites hosted at Dreamhost and two business email addresses.

Dreamhost’s customer service is great, their people are great, their prices are fair.

But they couldn’t care less how much you are murdered by junk mail. I get so much junk mail that I’m on the bring of taking all the time it’s going to take to migrate all of my stuff away from Dreamhost.

The main culprit is their 1990s-vintage Squirrel Mail system. It has only the most arcane and difficult-to-use junk mail filtering system. I’ve been trying for a LONG time to set it up, and no matter what I set the bizarre numerical settings to, nothing at all ends up in my junk mail folder - NOTHING AT ALL, mind you - and hundreds of junk mails in my mail.

It’s utterly disgraceful.

And then you have the DH CEO bragging in the latest newsletter about how it’s a one-click install to switch to GMail. HAHAHAHA! It takes one click to get away from DH, but you better know what you’re doing before you try this, as it is not easy, and DH leaves you on your own.

Squirrel Mail is so antiquated and cumbersome - there is no alternative to entering every single, individual from: or subject: one at a time into their idiotic blacklist - be prepared to spend hours. And then, as soon as a spammer changes one thing, like puts a dash or dot between words, they’re back.

This is a dealkilling problem. If I had it all to do over, I would recommend steering clear of Dreamhost for this alone, because getting literally hundreds of junk mails popping up on your iPhone all day is enough to make you want to shoot yourself.

Bummer, Dreamhost - why is it you don’t give a damn about this severe problem?

Why don’t you make it so that emails in the Inbox - at a minimum - can be blacklisted easily? WHy do you make customers jump sp through so many hoops to blacklist junkmailers? The only thing that could account for this level of difficulty is if DH is the one selling the email addresses to the spammers.

Factual correction: SquirrelMail is not a spam filtering system. As with many other hosts, and even dedicated email systems, DreamHost uses SpamAssassin. Just read their online documentation about what they do and how they do it.

As to your spam problem, I don’t know. I’ve used a third-party email system simply as a hedge against moving servers or hosts, and to get spiffier Webmail. But DH also offers Roundcube instead of SquirrelMail, if you don’t like the latter.

Just read the online SpamAssassin documentation? Maybe that, of we are talking about the same thing (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Spamassassin) is your idea of how the average user can control spam, but to me it appears to be more of a system designed for people with coding experience. You really have to be joking.[hr]
And this is how DH supplies to those looking for help in configuring SpamAssassin:

This no longer works due to a system change as of April, 2008.
New and existing email address may no longer be tied to a shell user if they are not already, though email may be forwarded to a shell account.
See Shell-linked E-mail for details.
See also Procmail + SpamAssassin.
The instructions provided in this article or section are considered advanced.
You are expected to be knowledgeable in the UNIX shell.
Support for these instructions is not available from DreamHost tech support.
Server changes may cause this to break. Be prepared to troubleshoot this yourself if this happens.
We seriously aren’t kidding about this.
Contents [hide]
1 Introduction
2 DreamHost’s Junk Mail system
3 Using SpamAssassin
3.1 ~/.forward.postfix
3.2 ~/.procmailrc
3.2.1 Automatic Sorting
3.2.2 Shorcuts
3.3 ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs
3.3.1 trusted_networks
3.3.2 rewrite_header
3.4 Bayes Training
3.4.1 Basic Training
3.4.2 Automated Training Using Cron
3.4.3 Country Training
4 Installing v3.1.0 into your account
4.1 adding SA for all the domain’s mail accounts
5 Notes
5.1 Determine Your SpamAssassin Version

SpamAssassin is one of the best spam filtering tools available, freely under the Apache license.
There are basically three different ways to take advantage of SpamAssassin within DreamHost’s environment (Listed in order from easiest to advanced)
Use DreamHost’s Junk Mail system
Easy setup via the DreamHost panel
Maintained by DreamHost
Spam can be reviewed only via webmail, or in IMAP client with IMAP filtering option
Bayes rules (but no trainable Bayes db)
Delivery delays have been noted
Run DreamHost’s version of SpamAssassin on your assigned host
High level of control over spam scoring and routing
Straightforward setup - some knowledge of shell commands is necessary
DreamHost may (or may not) update the version of SpamAssassin on your server
You can lose mail if you configure this wrong
Install a newer or customized version of SpamAssassin on your assigned host
Even higher level of control
Run the latest version of SpamAssassin
Setup is straightforward, but more involved
DreamHost won’t update - If your version has a security issue, you must patch/update it yourself.
You can lose mail if you configure this wrong

The version installed on DreamHost’s mail servers usually lags behind the current version (3.1.7 as of October 25, 2006, versus DreamHost’s v3.03 or so). Therefore, you have two options: either use the version provided by Dreamhost, or install the latest version into your account.
NOTE: Custom versions are only recommended to be installed on a Private Server with courier enabled, so you can check the filtered mail on the command line. Forwarding mail back for IMAP checking is not supported either on shared or PS.
Some portions of the following instructions may be prepared on a local PC and transferred to the server with SFTP, but much must be done in the Shell, using Shell Commands with SSH.
DreamHost’s Junk Mail system

Basic SPAM filtering can be set up via the control panel. Instructions can be found here: Junk_Mail#Enabling_Junk_Filter
Using SpamAssassin

By default, all your mail is delivered by a program called Postfix. To use Spam Assassin, you must first tell postfix to send mail to procmail (a mail processing program), and then configure procmail to use Spam Assassin. Sounds confusing? It’s not.
Create a file named .forward.postfix in your home directory (/home/username/) which contains the following line (The quotes are important!):
"|/usr/bin/procmail -t"
Create a file named .procmailrc in your home directory and type the following in it:

Directory for storing procmail files

Procmail log file

Shell to use for recipes

Pipe any messges under 512 K through spamassassin for scoring

• < 524288
    | spamassassin -P
    Note: The option -P is not needed on Spam Assassin version 3 or greater. It ‘is’ needed for version 2. Some of the shell systems are running SpamAssassin 3.0.3, while others are not (See Determine Your SpamAssassin Version).
    Automatic Sorting
    If you want Procmail to automatically put messages that SpamAssassin identifies as spam in a specific folder (eg. a folder named “Spam”), add the following lines to the end of your .procmailrc file:

Dump spam messages in the spam folder

• ^X-Spam-Status: Yes
    This identifies the mail header X-Spam-Status that SpamAssassin adds to spam messages, and then causes that mail to be placed in the .Spam/ folder. Examining some mail I receive through a university account, I also find that the X-PMX-Spam header can hold useful information:

Dump more spam messages in the spam folder

• ^X-PMX-Spam: Gauge=XXXXXX
    To test that your rules are working, try setting a test subject, then sending yourself mail with that subject from another account. It should be delivered to your Spam folder:

Filtering test

• ^Subject: SPAMTEST
    You may find it tedious to update the Spam folder location in the above recipes. To avoid this, add
    to the top half of the file, then filter your mail to $SPAMDIR:
  • ^X-Spam-Status: Yes
    Using these recipes, I don’t have to use rewrite_header in my user_prefs file, or use any filters in my mail client.
    Spamassassin’s default settings are pretty good, but there are a few changes that you can make which will increase your spam capture rate considerably. Global settings are stored in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf. As of this writing on my server, local.cf is basically empty (comments only). Your personal preferences are stored in ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs. If you have not had any mail delivered, you may have to create this folder and file.
    System documentation on SpamAssassin will help with editing the rules. This documentation is available with the commands:
    $ man spamassassin
    $ man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
    By default, Spamassassin is a bit too trusting and will score down e-mails with the “ALL_TRUSTED” test; the result is that more spam gets through. You can use the trusted_networks configuration setting to tell Spam Assassin which networks are to be trusted. In a terminal, type
    $ dig spf.dreamhosters.com txt
    to get the latest list of trusted DreamHost mail servers, then add the following lines (or similar) to your user_prefs file:
    perhaps via e.g.,
    $ dig spf.dreamhosters.com txt|perl -lnwe 'push @m,(/ip4:(\S+)/g);END{print “trusted_networks @m”}'
    If you use filters in your mail client (eg. Thunderbird or Evolution) to sort spam, it may be helpful to prepend “[SPAM]” to the subject of add. Add the following line (or similar) to your user_prefs file:
    rewrite_header subject [SPAM]
    … or use any other text you’d like.
    Bayes Training
    Bayesian filtering allows SpamAssassin to learn how to recognize spam messages. To do so, it has to be ‘trained’ with some messages that are known to be spam and ham (not spam).
    If you want to use the Bayes tests:
    you must be running SpamAssassin 3.0 or newer (See Determine Your SpamAssassin Version).
    you can only train using full SHELL USER accounts (the m######## accounts exist only on DreamHost’s mail server, which you do not have access to from the shell)
    you must first train the database with at least 200 spam email messages AND 200 ham email messages (non-spam messages).
    Basic Training
    Sort some existing e-mail into spam and non-spam folders. Let’s assume you have a sub-folder of your INBOX called “Spam”, another subfolder called “Ham”, and some other folders (with no spam in them). Find out where the utility sa-learn is. If you are using DreamHost’s version of SpamAssassin, this will probably be something like /usr/bin/sa-learn. If you installed your own version, it may be elsewhere. In a terminal, type:
    $ which sa-learn
    Train using a folder full of spam. In a terminal, type (replace /usr/bin/sa-learn with the path you determined above. Capitals are important!):
    $ /usr/bin/sa-learn --no-sync --spam ~/Maildir/.Spam/cur
    Train using a single ham folder:
    $ /usr/bin/sa-learn --no-sync --ham ~/Maildir/.Ham/cur
    Train using many ham folders. Typically, all your folders, with the exception of .Spam, are containers for non-spam email. To train using these as ham:
    $ /usr/bin/sa-learn --no-sync --ham find ~/Maildir -name cur|grep -v .Spam
    Synchronize (save) the learned rules:
    $ /usr/bin/sa-learn --sync
    You can also view the rules that SpamAssassin has learned by typing
    $ /usr/bin/sa-learn --dump magic
    Automated Training Using Cron
    Create a file (I use ~/.spamassassin/learn-spam.sh) using some of the above rules:

Automated Bayesian Training

Train ham (ignore outgoing mail & deleted mail that may be spam or ham)

Do each directory in turn so that procwatch doesn’t kill sa-learn

find ~/Maildir -name cur | egrep -v ‘(.Spam)|(.Trash)|(.Sent)’ |while read i; do
/usr/bin/sa-learn --no-sync --ham "$i"

Train spam

/usr/bin/sa-learn --no-sync --spam ~/Maildir/.Spam/cur

/usr/bin/sa-learn --sync

Delete learned spam

mv ~/Maildir/.Spam/cur/* ~/Maildir/.Trash/cur
Make the script executable:
$ chmod 700 ~/.spamassassin/learn-spam.sh
Add a job to your Crontab that runs ~/.spamassassin/learn-spam.sh daily or less. More frequently may be problematic with large mailboxes.
Using the DBS Block List (trusted_domains) tests and the Bayes tests, I’ve found SpamAssassin to be incredibly accurate at detecting both spam and ham.
Country Training
SpamAssassin comes with a plugin to add information to the headers of messages about which country the messages were relayed through. If this plugin is activated and enough spam messages are relayed through certain countries, the Bayes feature will begin to detect this as spam.
To enable the plugin:
Use CPAN to install IP::Country::Fast as above.
Uncomment the ‘loadplugin’ line in the ~/saetc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre file for Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::RelayCountry.
That’s it. Now you can examine the headers of your new mail messages to see if the relay countries are added to the headers. See http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RelayCountryPlugin for more information.
Installing v3.1.0 into your account

There is a good guide available, but it doesn’t include instructions for installing the Perl CPAN modules necessary for the DNS-based tests to succeed (this is necessary because the DreamHost version of the needed CPAN modules are too old). The instructions here for installing CPAN modules don’t seem sufficent. These instructions were quite helpful.
After following the guide, you will also need to follow these steps for the DNS-based tests to succeed:
SSH in to your account. (Use the same account you installed SpamAssassin to, the one where your maildir is.)
Run cpan, then type exit. That should create ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm.
Open ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm in your text editor (I like nano). Find the makepl_arg variable, and add PREFIX=/home/your_username to it, with a space separating any other arguments. Save and quit. The line should look like: ‘makepl_arg’ => q[PREFIX=/home/username INSTALLEDIRS=site],
Run export PERL5LIB=$HOME/lib/perl/5.8.4/:$HOME/share/perl/5.8.4/ so that cpan can find modules that it installs (when checking dependencies)
Run cpan, and then install the following modules by typing install modulename (These three modules may want to install additional modules to support these; in my case I answered yes to everything.):
exit CPAN when you’ve finished installing all of the modules.
ln -s ~/lib/perl/5.8.4/Net/* ~/share/perl/5.8.4/Net
Now send yourself some test e-mails, preferably spams you still have. Once received, look at the headers to check their scores and see which tests were run. On most spams, you should see DNS-based tests like URIBL, SpamCop, etc. being run, and giving your spams quite high scores.
If things don’t go quite right, or even if they do, you may want to look at ~/.procmail/log and see if SpamAssassin is reporting any problems. I believe these instructions are correct, but I could have left out a few things, so you may need to install some additional modules that I forgot.
You can incorporate ClamAV into your SpamAssassin installation with Clamassassin (A guide for installing ClamAV and Clamassassin on DreamHost).
adding SA for all the domain’s mail accounts
In the forum, user stoneyb writes: "I have SA set up for a whole domain (twice). Install it into the domain home, the one with the web sites, using the personal install instructions, and have the users in the domain use the full path to the domain’s SA in their procmailrc files. This works quite well for me."
To be more specific:
Create the ~/procmail/spam.rc file, as instructed in the guide referenced above, but when you reach this line:
| $HOME/sausr/bin/spamassassin
Remove the variable $HOME, substituting the full path to the domain you installed it to, ie:
| /home/myaccountwithcustomsa/sausr/bin/spamassassin
You may want to actually try running “/home/myaccountwithcustomsa/sausr/bin/spamassassin -V” from the account whose spam.rc file you’re modifying, just to ensure you have the appropriate permissions, but it should work as long as both accounts are under the Dreamhost account.

Determine Your SpamAssassin Version
In a terminal, type
$ spamassassin -V
Categories: Deprecated Instructions | Unsupported Instructions | Spam | E-mail Configuration
page discussion view source history
Main Page
Community portal
Recent changes
Random page
dreamhost links
DreamHost Home
DreamHost Status
Discussion Forums

What links here
Related changes
Special pages
Printable version
Permanent link

This page was last modified on 31 March 2010, at 19:38. This page has been accessed 40,010 times. Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Privacy policy About DreamHost Disclaimers

I think most people can get away with accepting the default setup, lowering the spam threshold to 4, and perhaps setting up a default IMAP folder (call it “Junk” if you will or “Spam”) to keep tabs on Junk on their desktop clients (use IMAP, never POP). The setup is actually remarkably easy. The granular stuff is for geeks, and I speak as a tech writer for consumers. I barely play geek on radio, and I don’t like complexities either.

BrianB, the SpamAssassin setup on the wiki isn’t necessary for most users. There’s junk mail filtering options available through the panel at:

Have you enabled that for your domains?

SquirrelMail is nothing more than a web client, and you don’t have to use it. Other options include: install your own webclient, use roundcube, or don’t use a web client at all. (local clients also work as well.)

I agree SquirrelMail could be styled better than it is by default, but the package itself is not as 1990’s as you think it is. Have you looked under the hood at the setting and options available to you? I would hardly call it a 1990’s web client. In fact head over to the squirrelmail website http://squirrelmail.org/ and you will discover it’s still a current project and deamhost is using the latest version.

As pointed out in the post above of this one, SquirelMail has nothing to do with deamhosts interface to SpamAssassin.

I also don’t have the spam problem that you claim is brought on by Dreamhost. I’ve found and proven through creating unique aliases that only point to an email box that dreamhost is not selling or leaking our email addresses to anyone. In fact, it’s really kind of interesting to watch what happens when a particular alias begins to get spammed how it increases geometrically pretty darn quick. Of course, I can deal with the problem by either just deleting the single alias or if I need to keep the particular alias redirecting it to a different actual mailbox.

Before I decided to try using unique aliases for everything I was completely inundated with the spam. I used to blame the problem on crawlers or bots picking the addresses up where they were publically posted on the web, but I also found out that really isn’t the problem. All the spam always starts on aliases that have been used to signup for some website or some “deal” that requires me to use an email address.

Mr. Rat, do you really think that the average user has any idea at all of how to go about implementing what you describe in your reply? Perhaps it is already saying something that it appears to a user like me that Squirrel Mail is involved in the junk process at all. After all, there is a junk mail filter there, and for a non-expert user, navigating around in the DH panel makes it look like SM does have something to do with it. In other words, it’s not a clear interface, it is confusing, and most importantly, it wastes the customer’s time, patience, and it is genuinely of the poorest quality. DH is offering lousy, difficult, complex solutions to an important problem. And to top it off, they seem to be urging customers to migrate their mail business to GMail, so obviously DH has no interest in improving this horrible mail service.

And, Mr. Rat, FYI I do not use SM other than out of frustration and necessity when I try to do something about the hundreds - literally hundreds - of spam mails I can get in a day. Otherwise, I use Apple Mail. It is worth noting that AM is able to detect and segregate so much of the junk that DH lets fly through.

What I am suggesting is simple:

1. Have a button in SquirrelMail that allows one to select an email as junk and ban it forever. If that can't be done, then DH shouldn't be providing SquirrelMail. That seems quite clear. If a mail program can not contribute to a solution of junk mail problems, then it's junk. There is nothing mysterious about implementing an option like the one I describe. One button banning to a folder, the contents of which define mail that should never be allowed through again.
  2. If it can't be in Squirrel Mail, and there is not to be any expectation of cooperation between them and DH, then DH ought to have a much less kludgy way of blacklisting mail. You should be able to use the contents of an email folder to program a firewall, at the very least. As it stands, each and every mail sender or subject line has to be entered manually. The system only allows five at a time, you have to select all sorts of radio buttons and items on pull-down menus, which will never default to where one might like them.

Or, one is allowed to go through the SpamAssassin feature, which is ridiculous. See my above post with the DH wiki on how to use it. I’m not going to discuss that further. Most people can’t use the alt key on their computer, let alone start coding to reduce junk mail.

My opinion is that DH’s email service is good insofar as it gets the mail delivered reliably, but it could not be worse in terms of the junk mail filtering. I have spent hours this weekend wasting time just trying to get this thing to work, and there are hundreds of individually listed junk mail.As soon as a spammer makes a one-characted change, say, from Cigar-Discounts to Cigar Discounts, they’re right back there. It’s a crap system.

I am not interested in arguing. I am just stating, as a DH customer, that their email service is the kind of thing that will purge customers like me, who do not possess, and are not interested in learning coding skills. The idea that someone should have a professional level of fluency with coding to use DH’s mail without getting spammed to death, to me, says it all. You are convincing me to take my business elsewhere.

And my earlier point stands about the CEO of DH boasting in the last newsletter about how easy it is to make a one-click switch to GMail. Either he has no idea what he is talking about and is incompetent and shouldn’t have made the statement, or he ought to get DH to support customers who would like to move their email to GMail, where the spam problem is hugely reduced. Any brief perusal of the DH support forum will immediately yield the DH position on that: not their problem, that’s entirely a GMail issue. If you don’t know how to do all that MX stuff, figure out all the server stuff, you will lose your email. It’s ridiculous. DH should get behind it, not abandon their customers once the one-click door hits them in the ass.

Nowhere in anything I have written will you see me suggest that DH is selling email addresses to anyone, so I’m not sure why you bring that up. One of my email addresses, that of a business, has escaped into the world, where business email addresses must quite often live, and has been somehow picked up by spammers. It shouldn’t matter how that happens. Junk mail should be filtered, a la GMail.

This mail problem at DH is bad enough that next time I have to spend hours dealing with it I’ll just use the time to get off my butt and get another provider. That’s not a threat - I know damn well that that represents no loss to Dreamhost, obviously. The board will not have a special meeting to discuss that lost business. I know. But what a stupid thing to have to change ISPs over, especially when everything else is usually so good. It has convinced me that DH would be quite happy to pare away customers like me who can’t troubleshoot for themselves. Fine, that’s their business model, their choice. I’ll go. But that’s certainly not the impression they convey in the newsletters.

I thank you for your input, Mr. Rat, and I’m sure that your solution may be appropriate for some, but it is just a workaround, and one that shouldn’t be necessary. People need to rely on email addresses, and junk mail filtering is a basic level of service that a perspicacious provider would be striving to provide without customers having to resort to aliases and other unnecessarily involved strategies.[hr]

Okay, this response from a DH person typifies the trouble. Yes, Andrew, this option is selected for the account with which I am having trouble.

It does nothing. Zero. It has not caught one single junk mail.

Furthermore, the instructions there only warn of how much more complexity to expect if one enables the feature, so what good is it? They are attached in case anyone would like to see how it makes clear that a lot more work from the customer will be necessary if there is any hope of working with the system.

Again DH provides what sounds like a simple solution, which doesn’t work and only leads to more confusion.

Here’s what Andrew sent the link to (an option that has been selected for that account and which does nothing):

Junk Filters
We hate spam. We’re guessing you do too. That’s why we’ve got this handy-dandy junkmail feature! Before you use the Junk Filter, please read and understand the following:
You may LOSE EMAIL if you turn this on. We will do our best to prevent this of course, but you have now been warned!
The Junk Filter is on an entire-domain basis. You cannot turn it on (or off) for one email address at a domain without turning it on (or off) for the entire domain.
You may not have a “catch-all” set up at a domain that you want to use the Junk Filter with. Catch-alls just generate too much junk mail!
When mail is caught by our filter it is held in quarantine and is not delivered to your Inbox. The only way to see this mail (and have it delivered) is to log into webmail and view your ‘junkmail’ folder.
The filter is fairly aggressive! We recommend you use the interface at webmail to set up a “white-list” of known good email addresses immediately after enabling the Junk filter.
More documentation on this feature is available in our Wiki![hr]
Oh, and by the way - in the SpamAssassin program, one has literally 999 choices of how to somehow set a value for spam filtering. And nowhere, at least nowhere easy to find, is there even any explanation of how to determine a value.

C’mon… defending this seems obtuse. A defense isn’t what is needed, what is needed is less junk mail. You guys ought to figure that out, not tell your customers that one day, if only they learn the proper skills and devote the time to doing their own tech support, they, too, might reduce their junk mail.

The point is that:

1. SpamAssassin is not a junk mail filter.

2. There’s no evidence that DreamHost has the “worst” junk mail. I suppose you haven’t visited Hotmail lately.

3. The Junk mail filter seems decent enough, they may testing of it is limited. But clearly the claim made in this thread is bogus.

An opinion can not be bogus. This is a matter generally of great interest to even mediocre radio hosts.

There’s a difference. You made a statement for which there is no evidence. You didn’t even understand that SquirrelMail is a Web-based email client, not a spam filter.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

As to my radio abilities, at least I got on a real network. :slight_smile:

I believe the allegation Gene Steinberg is referring to is this one, at the end of your first post:

This is categorically not true. Selling email addresses would be incredibly unethical — we’re not like that. In any case, spam costs us more money (in storage, bandwidth, and lost customers) than we could ever possibly make by selling email addresses.

One thing I noticed before setting up shop here with my sites is that DH seems to be very dedicated to combating spam, and making sure their clients comply with the rules. Indeed, I found a few things restrictive, such as not being able to run your own email announcement/discussion software on your site, which most other hosts do without problem so long as you obey the rules.

Now in trying a few email accounts here, one of which has gotten lots of spam elsewhere, I do not find any evidence of a problem. Yes, I have the spam filtering enabled, with the default “4” setting, along with setting up an IMAP junk folder.

In other words, the premise of this thread is just plain wrong!

The key to this thread tho is that i think the OP may not have enabled spam control on the domain, meaning that the settings found in squirrelmail or at mailboxes.hisdomain.com don’t actually work.

Personally, I’ve never considered DH to be an email provider. I know that it’s possible, but I never even considered it when I signed up. I mean, it’s a hosting service. You know, for websites. The TOS states that all the files and bandwidth and resources and such should primarily be used for hosting websites. I guess email can be an ancillary part of hosting a website, but for me they just seem different. I’ve used GMail for years without problems, and Yahoo before that, with the caveat that you get what you pay for.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t use DH for email. If it’s something they offer, then you should be able to take advantage of it. But you should consider that the primary service offered by DH is hosting websites…

Tell me, Gene, is it your position that Squirrel Mail contains no features to prevent junk mail delivery? Please enlighten me on what SquirrelMail’s Junk Mail folder, and what its Whitelist/Blacklist feature is for? Preventing unwanted communications from outer space?

Say hi to Fred Friendly for me next time you have a silver colloidial cocktail with him down in the bunkers at your “real” network.

Please tone down your rhetoric, BrianB. SquirrelMail, as it is distributed, is purely a mail client. We’ve added some plugins that allow it to interact with our junk mail servers, but it DOES NOT filter mail on its own. If you have not enabled junk mail filtering for the appropriate domain through the panel, editing the junk mail settings in SquirrelMail will have no effect whatsoever.

Precisely what is it you object to, Andrew? You ought to consider developing a sense of humor before you instruct people on how to comport themselves.

And the junk mail filter is enabled for the account. It doesn’t prevent onslaughts of junk.

I shouldn’t answer you, since you don’t seem to be able to hold your tongue.

But here’s the deal: When you enabled junk filtering, did you set the threshold as recommended by DH – at 4? If you did, you should see a sharp reduction in the amount of junk reaching your Inbox, at least based on my experience.

But I also have experience with a number of hosts and their email systems. Unless heavily tweaked, hosts with cPanel offer poor protection; ditto for Plesk. You need add-ons to really make them filter spam properly. Compared to them, DH is far, far better. It seems to me that they’ve really paid attention towards making this feature work with a reasonable level of accuracy. Going to a third party email provider will possibly get you better results, but not THAT much better.

Thanks LakeRat, but the credit for that quote should go to Gene Steinberg, not me. :wink:

And we show biz folks need all the credit we can get. :slight_smile: