Work blocks GMail

My work blocks access to GMail, but I would like to move from Squirelmail to GMail. Is there anyway that I might be able to use GMail instead?

Sure… ask “work” to unblock access to Gmail.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Gee…thanks for the sugestion

What else were you expecting? Apparently, you’re not supposed to use Gmail at work. If you don’t like Squirrelmail, you could try RoundCube here.

-Scott

BTW, it might put everyone at ease if you were to note that bypassing your work’s policies aren’t illegal and that you do realize that you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination for bypassing their policy.

I don’t want to be a wet blanket but neither do I want to enable illegal action nor do I want to inadvertently help someone get themselves trouble.

That said, depending on how your work has implemented the block, there might be ways around it - particularly for your own mail. I don’t have any particular experience with this. What did you find through googling for solutions?

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

It was the only safe answer I had.

You could use a proxy to connect to Gmail’s HTML interface.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html

Although you may find yourself clawing at thin ice if “work” catches you.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Another issue with using GMail for you email that I have run across is a lot of corporate email servers will block you email when it sees the GMail content in the header. I am going to have to go back to SquirrelMail or RoundCube.

I was gonna say the same thing.

If your work is only disallowing access to Gmail’s web interface, then it’s possible to ‘bypass’ this technicality by using a third party application to fetch your Gmail for you.

Mail applications like Outlook and Thunderbird (personal fave) allow you to retrieve email from places like Gmail and Hotmail and Yahoo as long as you have the right settings set up for your Gmail account.

But the thing is, if your work’s disallowing Gmail - period, then accessing Gmail through even Outlook or Thunderbird still would be illegal and like everyone else, I don’t want to get into hot water for suggesting something that might be illegal.