Wordpress2.5 plugin error

apps

I use wordpress2.5. and i install WP Plugin “Amazon Item” from http://greatdealson.net/wp-plugin-amazon-item but show error code :

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_parser_set_option(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.abolished/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/plugins/ai/ai-parser.php on line 63

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_set_object(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.abolished/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/plugins/ai/ai-parser.php on line 64

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_set_object(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.abolished/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/plugins/ai/ai-parser.php on line 64

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_set_element_handler(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.abolished/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/plugins/ai/ai-parser.php on line 65

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_set_character_data_handler(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.abolished/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/plugins/ai/ai-parser.php on line 66

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_parser_free(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.abolished/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/plugins/ai/ai-parser.php on line 68

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_parse(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.abolished/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/plugins/ai/ai-parser.php on line 73

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_parse(). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /home/.abolished/domainname/domainname.com/wp-content/plugins/ai/ai-parser.php on line 73

How to repair ?

Thanks

There are three possible way “repair”, though only one of them is actually a “good” way. :wink:

The right way to repair it is to do what the error message tells you to do: "Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; [color=#CC0000]If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of xml_set_character_data_handler()[/color].

One of the “less than best” ways to “repair” it is to do what is also suggested in the error message: " If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. "

Finally, if you do not need to be running PHP5, you can change your domain in the control panel to run PHP4, where “allow_call_time_pass_reference” is set to true by default. Be aware that, if you do this, you may be limiting your future ability to run some popular applications, as many now require PHP5 (WordPress will require PHP5 for version 3).

–rlparker

Normally with something like this I’d recommend emailing the plugin author to mention the problem. Unfortunately, it looks like the author of this plugin knows about this problem already and recommends rl’s “less than best” solution. I think the author’s decision in this regard is unfortunate, since features deprecated in one software version have a way of being removed in later versions, but that seems to be where things stand.

Since the function being called improperly is a built-in, I assume the author did this for some sort of efficiency gain. But, and I’d be interested in hearing if I’m mistaken in this, don’t PHP builtins already pass by reference when it makes sense for them to do so?

I wonder if the author would be willing to accept a patch…