Wordpress

wordpress

Have messed up my WP. Each time I now try to go to my WP i get the error message “It doesn’t look like you’ve installed WP yet. Try running install.php” When I click on “install.php” I get a further message "Wp - Already Installed. You appear to have already installed WordPress. To reinstall please clear your old database tables first.

What can I do to resolve this problem

Have you already generated a correct wp-config.php file?

Yes - it was fine but I must have done something and now I cannot acces it.

Well if it’s a new install I’d recommend you completely drop/empty your sql database (assuming you don’t have any other data on it) and do the same for the WP files. I don’t know if you used DreamHost’s one-click installer but I don’t personally recommend that (for my own reasons, there is nothing wrong with it and everyone that wants to should continue to use it). I can give you the few shell commands you’d need to download and extract WP into where you need it and then you should be off to go again.

If you want to try something else first please go for it (or if you already have data in the sql database be sure to back that up via mysqladmin). I’d be more than happy to go step by step through a WP shell install over pretty much any IM service if you’d like as well (it wouldn’t take more than 3mins max) or just explain it in forums.

Thanks so much - appreciate your help. I went to try and do that but i am asked for a user name and password which i dont know. But i do have data on it - the basis of my blog!!
I will get back to you when i have figured out how to remove my database.

Basically all I want to do is get back in to wordpress to create a whole new different blog
thanks

Hmm kunda, did you create an sql database to begin with? I don’t think Workpress has the rights to do this for you so that might explain the trouble you are having.

Not sure if this will help, but you could go to wordpress.org and follow the instructions for upgrading.

Basically, you just manually upload the files overwriting most stuff except for wp-content, .htaccess, wp-config.php. Then, go to domain.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php and it will do everything for you.

If that gets you up and running, but you still have some problems, maybe try switching themes? If that fixes anything, then you’d just have to go back over any theme mods you did.

I’d say take another look at wp-config and make sure everything is okay, though–since you did have it up and running.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

Thanks for your help but I really dont understand what you are advising me to do.

The problem is someone set this whole thing up for me then basically just abandoned the project in the middle. I do believe the SQL database was set up because I could access my blog at my domain name www.blacklooks.org and could access WP. In fact I was trying to continue with the design and content on the blog when I must have done something wrong to cause this problem. Now I cannot access WP anymore. I delted the SQL database but still cannot enter WP so dont know if i need to reinstall it again. Your offer of help would be appreciated but I cannot do it today. I do have skype and gmail but dont really want to put them on the forum therefore could you email me on enike79@yahoo.co.uk (i just set that up) with your skype or gmail so i can contact you on a time to go through this. Thank you so much for your help.

It’s just the Wordpress upgrade process. The directions at wordpress.org walk you right through it.

I saw in your other post that you already deleted your database? If you did that, without backing it up, then you might as well just delete everything and do a fresh install if you’re not sure what went wrong–since saving the data would have been the important step.

If you did any custom work, you might want to save that first. You could just save the whole directory to your computer and pick out any pieces you need later, once you’re back up and running.

If you do the clean install, just make sure the folder is empty (including the .htaccess file), then just install it through the one-click-install menu in the control panel. Then you can just choose one of your existing DBs, or create another one during the setup.

I still cannot access anything. I am still getting the same message when i try to go to my domain name which says WP is not installed and why I click it tells me it is intalled.?

I dont know what to do

What have you done? I thought you put in another post that you deleted everything and started over?

If you deleted the DB and lost your content, I’d back-up your old WP install, then delete it and do a clean install.

It’s really hard to say exactly what the problem is, since you had someone else modifying the code.

thanks - i have finally managed to delete everything - figured it out and reinstalled wp and will start again. hopefully because i am just using a WP template and doing it myself with help from WP forum I wont mess up again.

Thank you very much for your help