WordPress Videos Using DreamObjects

wordpress

I am working on a project where I will be uploading videos to DreamObjects and then presenting them in a WordPress site.

So far so good…However:

certain videos do not play in Firefox
WordPress does not seem to recognize some formats as videos

I know this would all be easier if I just used Youtube or Vimeo to upload videos to, but I need the ability to set a download link as well, so I need direct links to the actual files (thus the DreamObjects approach).

Does anyone have experience with different video formats; which codec/format is the best for playing on WordPress? Cross-browser compatible, etc.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Read some interesting thoughts on this here:

In my case, I will still need a download link, so I need to either:

-Upload once to Vimeo, and once to DreamObjects (one for streaming, one for downloading)
-Upload two versions (ogg and mp4 maybe?) to DreamObjects and add those to my Video tag as fallback

Backwards answers!

I use MP4 & OGG with an HTML5 embed: https://gist.github.com/IpstenuDH/fbf049f748b4a807543f

The secret sauce there is if it CAN’T play the video, it puts a link in to say ‘Can’t see this? Download it!’ It was needed for some people on some truly ancient browsers for a site :confused:

It … should. Out of the box it accepts:

.mp4, .m4v (MPEG-4)
.mov (QuickTime)
.wmv (Windows Media Video)
.avi
.mpg
.ogv (Ogg)
.3gp (3GPP)
.3g2 (3GPP2)

So those should cover most things. What’s the error you’re getting?

That’s not really ‘our’ fault, it’s Firefox saying “Take your MP4 and shove it!” and there isn’t one perfect video format :confused:

FLVs don’t work on iOS, MP4 don’t work on Firefox, IE ONLY supports MP4 natively, and on and on. Makes me wanna drink. I posted about it here: http://halfelf.org/2014/videos-hosting/ since I was facing similar problems.

I was able to come up with a functional solution that used DreamObjects, but then after I explained to the client the need for two video formats, and he suddenly dropped that part of the project and decided to just go with streaming from Vimeo.

I suppose all the reading and research will benefit me elsewhere down the road. At any rate, I appreciate the reply and link to the html5Video. What is the difference between html5video and plain video shortcode?

I think the html5 shortcode allows some additional attributes not found in the wp shortcode (yet). In reality it may not matter in some cases; you’re just shooting for the widest span of compatibility

I’ve used 3 formats- MP4, ogg & WEBM, with the MP4’s usually being the source. There’s a few different player plugins that all handle html5 in wordpress. It’s time consuming to do conversions but just mechanics- it just ends up being taken for granted when vimeo and youtube do it for you from a single upload.

I’ve worked in audio for a while, and dealt with format conversions forever. So if the job is hourly, it’s not so bad :smiley:

btw-very cool blog post, Mika.

My html5 video shortcode puts in the link to mp4 on the bottom, and that’s really the only diff! I did it because I have a couple users who are … well … not really RTFM people. It’s worth the effort to make my own shortcode than to explain oooover and ovvvver how it works. Or explain that Netscape’s old. (No, seriously, he’s on Netscape.)

[video mp4=“source.mp4” ogv=“source.ogv” mov=“source.mov”]

That works find for multiple sources in standard WP :slight_smile: