Wordpress start up questions

I have hosted a simple website on Dreamhost that I wrote with HTML w/CSS. I now want to change to Wordpress for marketing purposes to I can update/blog my site easier.

1. I know we have one-click install. Where will it want to install on my site?
  2. I want to keep my current site live while I build the wordpress version. Can I do that?
  3. I want to build the wordpress site without it being live so I can tinker. Can I do that?
  4. Once I am done with the build, how do I get my site to be that build? i.e., when someone goes to www.mysite.com I want the new wordpress site.

If there is a way to delete the entire internet, I will accidentally do it. Hold my hand, please.

1 - The one click installer will give you a chance to install in a subfolder. Example.com/wordpress or example.com/blog etc.

2 - yes install wordpress in a subfolder.

3 - Use use the dreamhost panel Googies > htaccess/WEBDAV to set a basic password for the SUBFOLDER that you installed wordpress in. Don’t confuse an htaccess password with real security tho, but it will keep nosy people and automated bots out of your wordpress site that you are testing. (Important: Do NOT check the “Enable WebDAV on this dir?” box when setting up the htaccess password. WebDAV is something else entirely and enabling that box will create a problem where the best answer is “start over”.)

4 - Wordpress Codex has instructions for moving index.php https://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress There are really two steps in your case tho. First remove the htaccess password we set above, then follow the instrauctions to move index.php up to the root level of your site.

Thank you so much! Point 3 is a little over my head, but I’ll assume for now it will make more sense when I work through that process. I guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it :slight_smile:

Really really appreciate this. Relieves some anxiety, lol.

Additional instructions for #3 can be found here: https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/217239847-Password-protecting-directories

The simpler method is letting the panel do the work. You can also create manually.