WordPress plugin update failed

apps

I should preface this by saying that I’m fairly new to WordPress, and still learning my way around…

So I set up my WordPress site with the 1-click installer, made my own customized child theme of 2011, added a few plugins, and everything was running great. Then I guess Dreamhost recently pushed out an upgrade, and I started running into problems with plugins that needed to be updated.

Whenever I try to perform an automatic update of a plugin, such as Akismet for example, I am now presented with a screen saying that WordPress needs access to my web server, and wants me to enter my FTP password.

After entering the password, I get the following:

[quote]Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/akismet.2.5.6.zip…

Unpacking the update…

Installing the latest version…

Removing the old version of the plugin…

Could not remove the old plugin.

Plugin update failed.[/quote]

Searching the internet for information about this problem, I see hundreds of people with the same problem, and dozens of different solutions. Can anyone explain exactly what the problem is, and the safest way to fix it?

Anyone?

Check to make sure that WordPress is running under your user and hasn’t defaulted to a DH-upgrader bot ownership.
Check by logging into the shell and typing: ls -al to see who owns the WordPress files.

I mention this because it happened to me one occasion. In my case, I had to get DH to kill the thing because I had no control over it.

I think you’re right. Most of the files in my WordPress install have been changed and no longer show me as the owner. In particular, that is true of the Akismet plugin but not my other plugins, which further supports the evidence. I’ll get in touch with DH and see if they can fix it. Thanks!