Wordpress panel

Warning that I may be doing something real dumb, and the worst part is, if so, I’ve been blind to it for a few hours now. Apologies if so.

I signed up with dreamhost last summer, secured a domain name, downloaded Wordpress, and built a basic website using… is it ‘CPanel’? (I’m still new enough to be learning the terms) It is very basic; I’m an author just trying to build a simple page that tells who I am, provides links, and downloads to free ebook shorts.

So, I built the site last summer, and haven’t touched it since (summers are the only time I can devote to this pursuit). Now I log back in and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get in to edit the site. I swear I’ve searched in every button on the left menu (after logging into my account at Dreamhost).

About a month ago I got an email from Dreamhost that my site had been hacked. I went in hunting for anything wrong and could find nothing (and frankly, that means nothing), but now I’m wondering if this is related, but I swear, I’m just too ignorant to even now how to parse the language?

It does show that WordPress is still installed. :\

Am I just in the wrong place? Sorry I’m being so ignorant, and thanks for any help you can give me.

The wordpress admin panel isn’t reached from the dreamhost panel. Go to your blog, ie. www.yourdomain.com depending on how you set it up that might be www.yourdomain.com/blog/. Once you have your blog on the screen add /wp-login.php or /wp-admin to the end of the URL.

Also you really need to make sure to get your install upgraded to the latest version of wordpress, and see these articles on the wiki to keep from getting hacked again. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/My_Wordpress_site_was_hacked and http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Harden_WordPress

P.S. cPanel™ is something that doesn’t have anything to do with Dreamhost or Wordpress. It’s a 3rd party control panel that some hosting companies license. Dreamhost created their own proprietary panel

Hmmm, if you have been hacked and this is a relatively untouched WordPress install, you might be better off just discarding it and starting over.

Generally, you would not be able to see the hack unless you FTP in and look at the actual files. Then, it becomes rather obvious.

Let’s say you just want to retrieve your content…

As LakeRat has said, you need to find the log-in to the admin section of your WordPress site.

The directory that holds the admin dashboard and log-in in a standard installation of WP is called "wp-admin"
so: yourdomainname.com/wp-admin

or, if it’s in a subdirectory: yourdomainname.com/wordpressdirectoryname/wp-admin

If you can log in, you can use the WordPress export tools to export your text content. It will be clean.

Write down the plug-ins and template you used, so you can recreate your site. Then, just trash the existing site. You can use the one-click to install a fresh copy once the old one’s gone. Let the one-click create a new database for you (and trash the old one from the inside the Dreamhost administration panel later).

Or, if you’d rather, you can run the cleaner scripts as suggested in those two threads Lakerat has suggested above. But, you need to spend a bit of time making sure you get everything. Then, upgrade your WP from its Dashboard.

Getting used to using WordPress:

The main things you will want to take a look at as an author are your posts (your blog articles) your pages (any static pages you may have, “About” is the sample one from WP) your widgets (things that run in your sidebars) and your menus (drop down links to sections of your site.

Keep it simple at first, so you are concentrating on your content and then, as you get more experienced, spend some time at wordpress.org researching plug-ins and reading the forums for ideas and advice, there.

Great post artgeek!

The only thing I will add is don’t necessarily add the same themes/plugins back in. Make sure to get new copies and that they come from a trusted source such as wordpress.org Badly made 3rd party themes and plugin’s are how hackers usually get in the back door.

Thanks you guys, all of that makes perfect sense. I don’t remember logging in by adding that to the domain name, but then I bet I was relying on my browser’s auto-fill to do that for me.

I will reinstall, all of this is very helpful, thanks so much. If I have questions, maybe I’ll come back. :)))