Wordpress "Network" and wildcard dns

wordpress

Hi,

I’m trying to setup wildcard dns to let me use a network setup in wordpress 3.0.

I’m following these steps:

[quote]Steps
Login to the Dreamhost’s Panel
Click on the Manage Domains
Find yourdomain.com and click the DNS link
Add a custom DNS to yourdomain.com. See entry below
Click “Add Record Now” submit button

Custom DNS Entry
Name: *
Type: CNAME
Value: yourdomain.com.
Comment: wildcard dns script[/quote]

From: http://ulyssesonline.com/2007/04/20/wordpress-mu-dns-wildcards/

Is the value supposed to be “mydomain.com.” (With the trailing ‘.’)? I tried it both ways, and the panel seems to add it if I leave it off.

Wordpress also gives me this code, which I pasted into that domain’s .htaccess file:

[code]# BEGIN WordPress
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

uploaded files

RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]

END WordPress[/code]

But now I get this error when I browse to any of my subdomains:

[size=large]Site Temporarily Unavailable[/size]
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

error id: “bad_httpd_conf”

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

You can’t set up your own DNS wildcards here. Along with that, a DreamHost shared server isn’t going to respond to a CNAME (as far as I know). The instructions in that link are pretty old.

I’ve not tried Multisite, but I’d look for a way to specify subdomains that doesn’t use a wildcard. I’ve yet to see someone in these forums set up WordPress 3.0 for multisite.

Ok, it doesn’t sound like wordpress, and especially wordpress multisite, is your specialty, but should it work just as well if I hardcode subdomains for the 3 or 4 sites I’d like to set up?

I’m eventually going to try to connect 3 or 4 domains into one wordpress mutlisite install, which from my googling seems to be possible, but I’m not sure how to get from here to there. Just trying to get the multi site to work in the meantime.

Thanks for the quick response.

You guessed it - multisite isn’t a specialty, but I use standalone WordPress a lot. I can only guess that when you create those subdomains, you should point them to the same web directory as the main domain. So when you click Edit for your Fully Hosted Domain, the “Web Directory” for each one should look like your main domain: /home/username/ and then example.com in the text box.

You can also configure all of the sites except one to mirror each other. Same effect as setting them to share a web directory, but with the potential for better performance (as that makes them all handled as the same site internally, instead of several sites with the same files).