Wordpress interface & blog language, how does this affect SEO?

Hi there folks! :wink:

I just created my own Wordpress site hosted by Dreamhost. I live in Belgium, and all my content will thus be written in Dutch.

The one-click install module for Wordpress does not have to seem a setting to change language. I’d like to change the interface language of the Wordpress Dashboard to Dutch, and also the Blog Language to Dutch.

If there is no way to change the blog language, will this affect Google searches? If my content is written in Dutch, will it show up for the Dutch Googlers?

I also downloaded a theme with English terms (To search type and enter, X Search results for, More, Follow,…) Is there a way I can translate these into Dutch? I took a look at the theme editor with bunch of code (have to relearn HTML & CSS, forgot much), I assume I won’t do anything wrong when I search for these terms and translate them directly in the code itself?

Thanks!

You’ll want to download a language pack : http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress_in_Your_Language

And then you change your language in the wp-config.php file

If your theme has the language already translated, it’ll magically show up. If not, you may have to make your own (which is a pain, I know :frowning: )

As for Google, IIRC it’ll pull up your Dutch Language posts for Dutch Googlers :slight_smile: Since in English, if I search for non-english terms, it asks me “Do you want to include non-english”, I think the default is “We’ll find things in your language!”

Hello there!

Thanks for the response!

I followed the WP guide, but I’m stuck on this:

“On your site server, create a new folder in your /wp-content directory called /languages.”

How do I do this from the dreamhost panel?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Generally you would use an ftp client to do that. I believe you can use webftp in the panel however to create a directory, webftp doesn’t have many bells and whistles but if that’s all you need to do you should be good.

[quote=“LakeRat, post:4, topic:60889”]
Generally you would use an ftp client to do that. I believe you can use webftp in the panel however to create a directory, webftp doesn’t have many bells and whistles but if that’s all you need to do you should be good.
[/quote] Yes
webftp does have the option to create a new directory, From the panel, on the left side ,select:
“Manage Domains”, then you will see you have some choices, DNS | Visit | WebFTP | FTP | Add IP ,select “WebFtP”, you will the need to login again,…Up at the top you will see various Icons, one of them is a folder and says “new folder”, click that and you will get the options to put in the name,etc, it is easiest to all ready be in the folder where you are creating a sub folder. it is easier to use SSH, for me, from my terminal (command prompt),
Using ssh, mkdir "thenewfoldername"