Wordpress install

wordpress

Ok here’s my problem.

I have hosting with another company (client’s hosting) that i will be working on. Now, I want to install wordpress on their server however use one of my Dreamhost databases.

I manually upload Wordpress and load the wp-config with the Dreamhost database/host details. Here lies the problem; the details after double checking are all correct yet it still says “Cannot connect to database”.

So, can you use Dreamhost databases in conjuntion with a site hosted elsewhere?

Maybe there is a problem with my clients hosting or possibly my wordpress (Dreamhost) configuration

By default DH limits connections to MySQL to %.dreamhost.com. You’ll want to edit these permissions in your Panel to allow access to your database.

Make sure you’re not be too liberal, since this could result in a security compromise.

You’re best bet is to contact support for suggestions and help if you’re unsure.

• Greg
  • DreamHost Technical Support

Is there some reason you want to do this? It’s not ideal for either performance or security.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

I agree about the performance/security angles … I’m wondering if his other host is one of those that either has MySQL as an “upcharge” or a limited number of databases per account (there are “a few” of those left! :wink: ).

–rlparker

Yeah, but then why not just host here?

I suppose it could be that it’s a limited host that has less stringent ToS. It would be unfortunate if external database access became disallowed due to abuse.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

“By default DH limits connections to MySQL to %.dreamhost.com. You’ll want to edit these permissions in your Panel to allow access to your database.”

How/where do i do this?

I know it’s not ideal to be connecting to my wordpress database through other hosting but I have no choice in the matter.

Thanks for your replies guys

[quote]“You’ll want to edit these permissions in your Panel to allow access to your database.”

How/where do i do this?[/quote]
From the Control Panel -> Goodies -> Manage MySQL screen, locate your database and click the linked name of the user to whom you wish to grant remote access privileges. On the resultant screen, scroll down to the “Allowable Hosts” Textarea field and add the host(s) from which you want that user to be able to connect.

–rlparker

Thanks mate!

You are welcome, and good luck with your project! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

I know this is an old post, but I have exactly the same problem.

I want to install the wordpress files on an external host using my dreamhost database.

I add the host on “Allowable Hosts” sections. Something like this:

%.dreamhost.com
%www.mywebsite.com

mywebsite.com is the host of my Wordpress installation and nothings seems to works.

What can I do?

You need to specify the host name or IP address of the server that will be trying to connect to the database, not the domain name of the web site.