Wordpress install w/WP-Cache auto-install

wordpress

So I’ve been playing around with some changes WordPress installs and I’ve noticed problems trying to delete a directory when trying to start over.

I think this may be due to the WP-Cache auto-install that DH’s 1-click installer does.

Anyone have any ideas how I might go about removing that file so I can start with a clean directory?

The file is:
/domain/main/wp-content/advanced-cache.php -> plugins/wp-cache/wp-cache-phase1.php

I can’t seem to delete it. Any help would be appreciated!

You should just need to disable wp-cache from the wordpress admin panel. You may also need to remove the entry in wp-config.php that wp-cache creates.

to delete the files you could try changing the permissions to 777 before deleting or try a different method such as an alternative ftp client or use ssh.

Get [color=#00CC00]$97 DISCOUNT[/color] with [color=#CC0000]DISCOMBO97[/color] > More Codes

I can’t delete this file either. I have two of them in the way preventing me from doing anything until they’re gone.

I deactivated wp-cache in WP admin, but it didn’t matter. Also, there’s no way to modify that file from WP admin panel. AND, everything else has already been deleted. Everything. Except that file.

This happened once before and I e-mailed Dreamhost support. I didn’t get an answer on how to do it, but they did it for me. I’m hoping they’ll do it again now…

If you want to delete your entire web directory, I’ve had some decent luck with completely renaming it and creating a new one with the same name.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

I ran into this trouble not long ago too… I discovered that the web ftp in the DH panel could delete it when neither CoreFTP nor Dreamweaver could.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain

Renaming the directories is only that: renaming. You still can’t delete them with those advanced-cache.php files inside. The point here is to get rid of those files.

“web ftp in the DH panel” … I’m not sure what you mean unless it’s the link that logs you in to the net2ftp client. If so, then I can say that you can’t delete those files from there either. And yes, my chmod is set to 777.

That was fast! Somebody from DH support just deleted the file for me. Thanks a bunch!

It’s great that they did this for you quickly, but I’d sure like to know what is causing the problem. :open_mouth:

I’ve tried to duplicate it on my domains, (in order to try to understand what is happening) and have not been successful.

If we could know what causes this in some circumstances, we could either develop a methodology for dealing with it ourselves, or lobby DreamHost to remedy the source/cause of the problem. :wink:

–rlparker

Heh, I see that support deleted the files and directories for you. Congratulations!

For future reference, if you have trouble clearing out your web directory for a one-click install, you can rename the old directory to something else and create a new empty directory with the same name as the old one.

For example, say you have an annoying leftover file in your web directory yourdomain.tld. In the shell, you’d cd to your home directory and type “mv yourdomain.tld yourdomain.tld.tobedeleted” then “mkdir yourdomain.tld”. The result is that your web directory would now be empty and ready for a one-click install. Later on, you can figure out how to delete the “tobedeleted” directory.

You can use this technique on any file or directory:

mv /home/yourusername/yourdomain.tld/main/wp-content/advanced-cache.php /home/yourusername/annoyingfiletobedeletedor even the following if you want to delete a whole directory:

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Even easier, SSH (http://wiki.dreamhost.com/SSH) into your box, then type “rm -r -f ~/path/to/wordpress” and hit enter…
Fixed in 2-3 seconds (unless you have to DL putty, then it’s more like a minute)

Of course, all these methods assume that the user has sufficient privileges to delete/rename the file(s) according to the file(s)’ permissions (write permission).

What I seem to be seeing in some of these users’ posts makes me think that may not be the case; certainly if there were not some kind of a problem, it wouldn’t require support to delete the file(s). :wink:

–rlparker

[quote]Of course, all these methods assume that the user has sufficient privileges to delete/rename the file(s) according to the file(s)’ permissions (write permission).

What I seem to be seeing in some of these users’ posts makes me think that may not be the case; certainly if there were not some kind of a problem, it wouldn’t require support to delete the file(s).[/quote]
I agree, that’s why I think moving/renaming the enclosing directory does usually work when all else fails.

It’s certainly the case that “rm -rF” didn’t work for me but I did manage the “mv” the offending web directory and create a new one.