Wordpress hosting...why do i need a different host?

Just wondering why i would want a paid host when i have a free one at wordpress.is there some competitive advantage?

For one, you would be able to control every bit of your site. And be able to do more than just Wordpress.

If you do not know the answer yourself, it is best to just stay/go to wordpress

You’d be able to install any theme you want, any plugin you want, etc…
You would have complete control (however you define it) over your WP site… that said, wordpress.com offers a few goodies not available out of the box, like Spotify embedding (for one example). Check out http://wordpress.org to learn more.

I see. I realize there are limitations with worpress but didnt understand that these limits may be overcome simply by changing hosts…for some reason, I always thought the host was merely where your online data lived.

It is apparent I have much to learn and im green.I have spent much time on the wordpress site. Is anyone familiar with a book or video on this topic? Is there a wordpress for idiots? I certainly appreciate the help.[/b]

[b][quote=‘mattesque’ pid=‘153311’ dateline='13351813
You’d be able to install any theme you want, any plugin you want, etc…
You would have complete control (however you define it) over your WP site… that said, wordpress.com offers a few goodies not available out of the box, like Spotify embedding (for one example). Check out http://wordpress.org to learn more.
[/quote]

Check out Digging Into Wordpress and the sister site http://digwp.com
Also there are many resources available online:
Smashing Magazine (a little advanced, but still useful)
WP Beginner
//
I will come up with a longer list and post back later.

You take on vastly more responsibility for maintaining and configuring your site correctly so that it doesn’t get hacked. Many, perhaps even most, people who move a personal blog to a paid host don’t realise this nor do they have the skills necessary to protect their site from bad guys.

Then they come to these forums and complain that DreamHost allowed their site to get hacked.

So that’s a really great question. Do you really need to pay for your own hosting company when you can get free hosting from WordPress? There have been some really great answers to the question: It all comes down to how much you want to do with your site, and then how much you want to take responsibility for the security and upkeep of the site itself. Based on your statement of your technical abilities, it’s probably worth a few dollars a month to outsource the management and hosting to an expert. The fact is that if you spend more than an hour troubleshooting a free site, your time was worth a few bucks to pay for shared hosting from Dreamhost, or Bluehost, for example.

There are also several types of hosting: Shared (cheapest), VPS (more expensive), Dedicated (more expensive), Managed Hosting ($20-30/mo).

Disclosure: I work for WP Engine, a managed WordPress host, so all and extreme bias in favor of my employer can and should be assumed.

The first thing you’ll notice moving from wordpress (which is fast and secure, btw), to shared hosting with Dreamhost is that you can use your own domain instead of [yourdomain].wordpress.com. This is actually pretty fun. The first time I told someone, “go visit austingunter.com,” was a bit of a thrill. I’m sure that immediately after I said it, I was mocked, but oh well :slight_smile:

Shared hosting gives you a whole new world of tools to play with compared to hosting and wordpress. Part of the reason WordPress is free is that they don’t allow anyone to customize anything, so they reduce the risk of hacking to zero, and all the sites are easy to maintain. Once you install WordPress on your own server, suddenly you can create all sorts of cool stuff with your sites.

Now, if you want really fast, really secure hosting, something that is high enough quality for CNN.com (which runs on WordPress), then you need to hop on a managed wordpress host, like WP Engine, Pagely, or ZippyKid. There are different prices and different values at each one. They start at $20 a month, which may not make sense if you’re not making any money off your site, and you don’t get more than 10 visitors each day.

I hope this helps. I want to echo all the other advice that was given on the forum. You’ll learn a lot over the next couple of years, and WordPress is an amazing platform to create things on. I’ve learned a TON in the past several years since I built my very first site, so if you keep plugging away, I have no doubt that you’ll be able to say the same in a few years.

Also, please share your site if you’re willing. I’d love to check it out!
-AG

You can use your own domain on wordpress.com.

That should probably read: Once you install WordPress on your own server, suddenly you can create all sorts of potential security holes.

Um, CNN.com is not run on WordPress. blogs.cnn.com is run on WordPress, but receives far less traffic than CNN.

Take that advice with a big chunk of salt. Shared hosting holds up well for 1,000+ visitors per day.

My short take on this is; unless you need to run more than one blog, or website, or multiple applications under a single domain, you are probably better off sticking with wordpress.com and paying for the premium upgrade – if you want your own domain and access to features and templates not available to free member sites.

It’s the difference between general web hosting, which Dreamhost provides, and managed hosting, which wordpress.com provides.

Are you a web designer and/or developer? Then you probably want to sign up with a web host.

Are you a writer, pundit, visual artist or person more interested in getting your site up fast and your ideas out there – but not that interested or experienced in security issues or web design? Then do yourself a favor and stick with managed hosting.

Managed hosting like Wordpress.com or Blogger is bad for multiple reasons. If you actually decide to write your own content and upload your own original images, then that content belongs to them not you. You are using their server, so they own your stuff. They can decide to delete your entire account for any reason, any you have zero say. You cannot complain, or get real support because everything is free. Self hosted wordpress is free also, you just need more effort to get things working. But at least it’s all yours, and no one can shut you down or claim ownership of your files. Self hosted is best for people who are serious about blogging.

So, you own your server at DH? And it’s free? WP has both free and premium options and we are discussing the premium (paid) option here. You may want to read and compare the TOSs a little more carefully before making such wild assertions.

I agree with Bobocat, the ToS doesn’t say anything about them owning your stuff. They say

That’s far from “owning” what you put up there. I personally point a lot of folks who come to me wanting a website built, to Wordpress or Blogger. Simply because they don’t have the expertise or the cash to handle an unmanaged hosted website and their content/publishing needs are simple.

Jw

Sorry, but in the case of wordpress.com or blopspot.com that is simply not true. Read the TOU again carefully. They own the right to host your content without remuneration to you and to back-up that content but that does not negate your copyright or ownership of your intellectual property. So, that’s not a compelling reason to avoid those services.