Wordpress format help

Hi all,

I used to be with another host. The wordpress seems to be a different version than the one dreamhost has. I used to be able to add an image to my post and i will see it immediately (thus, allowing me to resize it by clicking on the image’s corners). The wordpress that dreamhost supports doesn’t seem to have this option. I can only post the image as the html format. I was wondering if there is a way to update my wordpress to have that option?

Thanks

It sounds like your “other” WordPress installation was using a plug-in; the DH version of WP available via the “one-click” install is the latest version available. :slight_smile:

Do you still have access to the “old” version you were using, so that you can tell what plug-ins were installed?

–rlparker

[quote]
Hi all,

I used to be with another host. The wordpress seems to be a different version than the one dreamhost has. I used to be able to add an image to my post and i will see it immediately (thus, allowing me to resize it by clicking on the image’s corners). The wordpress that dreamhost supports doesn’t seem to have this option. I can only post the image as the html format. I was wondering if there is a way to update my wordpress to have that option?

Thanks[/quote]
DreamHost has the latest version of WordPress, which is now at 2.1.3. There’s a 2.2 under development, but it has been delayed somewhat.

You can find all the release archives here:

http://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/

In any case, just how did you insert your image? There is, for example, an Insert Image command available from the formatting toolbar or via a Control-M command.

Perhaps if you can explain a little bit more of what you’re using and what you’re seeing, I can help, since I use WordPress for my primary commentary site at http://www.macnightowl.com.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast
http://www.theparacast.com
[b]My DreamHost Promo Plan—Use the code: [color=#CC0000]ROCKS[b][/color]

These are the plugins that were on the plugins page (I don’t think they are activated though, because I have the option to click on “activate”)

1. Plugin: Akismet
    Description: Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web serivce to see if they look like spam or not. You need a WordPress.com API key to use this service. You can review the spam it catches under “Manage” and it automatically deletes old spam after 15 days. Hat tip: Michael Hampton and Chris J. Davis for help with the plugin. By Matt Mullenweg.

2. Plugin: Hello Dolly
    Description: This is not just a plugin, it symbolizes the hope and enthusiasm of an entire generation summed up in two words sung most famously by Louis Armstrong: Hello, Dolly. When activated you will randomly see a lyric from Hello, Dolly in the upper right of your admin screen on every page. By Matt Mullenweg.

3. Plugin: WordPress Database Backup
    Description: On-demand backup of your WordPress database. By Scott Merrill.

Thanks

No, no! What were the plugins on your old host? What was your old host, anyway? That might help a little…

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Hi,

this is what I see from my old host:

this is what I see wiht dreamhost:

I just pressed on the “img” to post my picture…

Thanks

Ok,but, as lensman said, that looks like the current DH wordpress “one-click” install - I was inquiring about your previous installation.

One other thing: Are you using the “visual editor” for your user?

You can check by logging in, and checking your profile (click on the “My Profile” link in the extreme upper right corner of the page) for the “use the visual editor when writing” checkbox under “Personal Options”.

With this checked, you should be able to dynamically “resize” images by clicking on them and dragging the “handles” without any other plug-ins.

BTW, you should note that this only modifies the display size; the graphics remains “full size” on your disk and still takes the full download time of the “larger” image - a much better way to manage this is to resize your image to the actual size you need before uploading it. :wink:

–rlparker

I was using netfirms…
how do I check what plugins they had?

Thanks

It works now!! It was the visual editor thing.

Thanks a lot for everyone who helped… it was really appreciated!!!

Good deal! I’m glad you got it working and that you posted back to let us know that was the problem…that is very helpful to others who might encounter the same problem! :slight_smile:

–rlparker

You could also try windows live writer. This allows you to write posts using the layout of your blog theme, preview what they will look like, resize images add borders add links etc before posting to the site. You can also edit the html with it if you need to.

http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/

still in beta but works well.

Get [color=#00CC00]$97 DISCOUNT[/color] with [color=#CC0000]DISCOMBO97[/color] > More Codes