Wordpress created .htaccess / WebDAV now whacked

apps

Hey gang,

WordPress created an .htaccess file in the root folder of my domain:

www.ShakeDownPodcast.com

I have a webDAV folder set up here @:

www.ShakeDownPodcast.com/calendar/calendars/

Now, when the .htaccess is present in the root, the web DAV folder doesn’t work right. I don’t quite get it. I thought that an htaccess further down the ‘tree’ overrides the one ‘above’ it.

Any suggesto?

You are generally correct about how .htaccess works, but you problem may have to do with “how” your WebDAV dir is “whacked”.

Could it be that it just is not working because the default WordPress .htaccess is not letting requests ever get routed to that dir? WordPress is set up this way to intercept urls that are not “part of” the WordPress install. This would prevent the webDAV .htaccess from ever even being read.

Fortunately, if this is, indeed, what is happening, the fix is really simple. You just need to make a small addition to the WordPress .htaccess to allow you webDav dir to “slip through” the WordPress .htaccess re-write rules so that its .htaccess can be loaded and the directory can be reached.

This DH wiki article on “Making Stats available with .htaccess”, points the way - just use those instructions and modify the dir(s) appropriately to facilitate reaching your webDAV dirs instead of the default DH “stats” dir. :wink:

–rlparker

I followed the instruction in the DH wiki to the T, but no matter what directory i ‘alter’ the entry to, the server yields an error and nothing on the entire domain loads :frowning:

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, xxx and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Well, that’s not good at all :frowning: . There must be some other WebDAV related issue that is gagging when “living” below the WordPRess .htaccess file (though I have no idea what it is).

Probably time to put things back the way they were, and see if support can help; I don’t know what else to suggest.

–rlparker