WordPress: can't modify templates - need help

Hi,
I’m having trouble modifying templates in WordPress.

Here’s what’s happening:

• In my Dreamhost/WordPress account I navigate to: Dashboard > Appearance >Editor …and select a file to edit.

• I modify the code and then click on “Update File”

• The code in the editor window then completely disappears.

I used the advanced install as opposed to the basic install so I know that file-write permissions aren’t an issue.

Is my problem that I first need to use ftp or ssh to upload a modified version of the file to the templates directory and then click on “Update File” ?

thanks!
Gerald

Is this a template that you added, or one that came with the install?

I just tried on a test site. I added a word to the Default template, then clicked Update and a moment later the screen refreshed with a Success message at the top.

I know you said it’s an Advanced Install, so the templates are in your home directory. Does your FTP program let you edit files on the server? I think WebFTP has this option. See if it’ll let you edit the file and that the change shows up on your site.

-Scott

Hi Scott,
Thanks for responding to my post!

This isn’t the default template that came with the install. It’s one of the 42 designs that Dreamhost/Wordpress provide as a one-click design change. I added it after the install.

I’ll try what you suggested. I just have a Dreamhost/WordPress subdomain and a friend of mine is the main/paying Dreamhost account holder.

I’ll see if I can get the ssh or ftp login and try what you suggested.

(I wonder why Update doesn’t work when I click on it? - why it wipes out the template code and just leaves a blank page?) - will try your suggestion.

thanks!!
Gerald