WordPress BS

apps

I’m trying to utilize virtual directories through Wordpress and everything is coming out like garbage when I try.

I set up an .htaccess file with what they wnated. I’ve set HTAccess to 666. I’ve enabled PHP-CGI on the site…

and yet I am STILL getting 404’s every time I try to access permalinks on my web site.

ANyone out there brave enough to help me?

http://www.wombatnation.com/misc/installWordPressDreamHost.html

DreamRegistrar.com - Register your own domain with DreamHost for just $14.95 now

I was trying to find that post with the WP install guide. Thanks. Lets see if this takes care of it.

Actually this doesn’t solve the problem or addres the issue.

I mean, it’s a good guide but why don’t the virtual addresses work? Is it because I originally had nothing specified and then changed it?

Have you tried the WordPress support forums? I’ve found answers to quite a few of my WP questions through those forums.

Robert
http://www.wombatnation.com/

I’ve got an ongoing conversation on there about it…

No luck.

Did you set up your.htaccess file any special way?

I mean, I have this form my permalinks:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^wp/category/(.)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?category_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^wp/category/?(.
) /index.php?category_name=$1 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^wp/author/(.)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?author_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^wp/author/?(.
) /index.php?author_name=$1 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^wp/([0-9]{4})?/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?/?([0-9]+)?/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&name=$4&page=$5 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^wp/([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-z-]+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&name=$4&feed=$5 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^wp/([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-z-]+)/trackback/?$ /wp/wp-trackback.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&name=$4 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^feed/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?feed=$1 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^comments/feed/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?feed=$1&withcomments=1 [QSA]

Should that rewrite base be /home/.khafka/username/ instead of just a slash?

Having the RewriteBase as / should be fine. At least, that’s how I have it set for my site. I believe that it establishes the absolute URL base for all later references.

Right off the bat, I spotted three differences.

1. You have wp near the beginning of each RewriteRule. For example, where your first RewriteRule begins like:

RewriteRule ^wp/category/(.*)/…

mine looks like:

RewriteRule ^category/(.*)/…

Did you mean for the permalinks URLs to begin with “wp”?

1. Also, when I looked at the permalink URLS on your site, I noticed that they have “archives” in them. I didn’t see that in your RewriteRules.

2. Your fifth RewriteRule begins like:

RewriteRule ^wp/([0-9]{4})?/

whereas mine begins without the ? before the /:

RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/

Here are my WP-related RewriteRules, in case none of the above differences make a difference.

RewriteRule ^category/(.)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wordpress/wp-feed.php?category_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^category/?(.
RewriteRule ^author/(.)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wordpress/wp-feed.php?author_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^author/?(.
RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?([0-9]+)?/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&name=$3&page=$4 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-z-]+)?/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wordpress/wp-feed.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&name=$3&feed=$4 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-z-]+)?/trackback/?$ /wordpress/wp-trackback.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&name=$3 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^feed/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?/?$ /wordpress/wp-feed.php?feed=$1 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^comments/feed/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?/?$ /wordpress/wp-feed.php?feed=$1&withcomments=1 [QSA]

Robert
http://www.wombatnation.com/

mind you I stuck in the WP in an attempt to fix the problem – maybe not having Wordpress home path was hurting me?

I’ve tried www.stonegauge.com/archives/etc/etc
www.stonegauge.com/wp/archives/etc/etc/
www.stonegauge.com/index.php/archives/etc/etc
www.stonegauge.com/postname/
www.stonegauge.com/year/month/day/postname

I’ve edited .htaccess with the code provided for each by WP (and no, I didn’t type in the full URL when I was trying to configure the permalinks) and every time I came back with 404’s…

I tried your permalink structure just now - nothing changed.

I actually think it could be an account setting with PHP and the mod rewrite stuff. I’m waiting for Dreamhost to get back to me and tell me if there is a setting on my account that might be hindering that.

And FYI - discussing the problem here on the forums at the WP site:
http://wordpress.org/support/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=14749&page=-1#24

What directory is your .htaccess file in?

Pointy-Ears.net

it was in the WP install directory.

I got the problems fixed now guys. WHat it all came down to was where WP was installed – the fact the directory wasn’t the same as where the index.php file was. I had to edit generla options and such.

I ended up moving my WP install to my root directory and everything is working now.

Ah, that’s what I suspected from the advice given to you over at the WP forums. That was a little misleading - the .htaccess file should always be at your blog index, not the WP install folder (although they can be the same and are in the default install).

Pointy-Ears.net

Thanks for all the persistance on this issue, it helped me figure the same thing out on my install. However, I was able to make it work with a /wp/ directory when my index.php was at the / directory.

The .htaccess file has to be in the same directory as the index.php file (as was finally mentioned above). chmod it to 666. here is an example of what worked for me at http://herebox.org - thank god i didn’t have to move the install. it can work!:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^blog/topic/(.)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?category_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^blog/topic/?(.
RewriteRule ^blog/archives/author/(.)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?author_name=$1&feed=$2 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^blog/archives/author/?(.
RewriteRule ^blog/archives/?([0-9]{4})?/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?/?([0-9]+)?/?$ /index.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&name=$4&page=$5 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^blog/archives/?([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-z-]+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&name=$4&feed=$5 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^blog/archives/?([0-9]{4})/([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-z-]+)/trackback/?$ /wp/wp-trackback.php?year=$1&monthnum=$2&day=$3&name=$4 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^feed/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?feed=$1 [QSA]
RewriteRule ^comments/feed/?([_0-9a-z-]+)?/?$ /wp/wp-feed.php?feed=$1&withcomments=1 [QSA]