Wordpress and the Digg effect

I just set up my Wordpress blog with PHP/FCGI. I followed this tutorial: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/PHP_FastCGI and it’s working great :slight_smile:

I was wondering how would the server react if there were a Digg effect on a Wordpress blog? Do you think Dreamhost servers can handle a Digg effect without needing a Dreamhost Private Server in this case?

Please let me know, thanks,

I think the consensus here is that it depends on the plugins you’re running and whether you’re going to run with caching on. With few or no cpu-intensive or database-intensive plugins or full caching, you can survive most anything except for being slashdotted.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

I know wordpress gets slated on digg everytime the site goes over but it helps if you have wp-cache installed. A newer cache wp supercache is also available that gives fully static pages.

In general don’t have too many unneeded plugins particularly those that use sql.

It may also help to have a simplified theme you can switch to if digg is causing problems. For example Wordpress themes are split in to different files, index.php, header.php, footer.php sidebar.php. These can be consolidated in to one file which should help. Less images would also help.

Another tip I saw was to disable comments during high traffic from digg. From what I can see anyway everyone from digg justs posts comments on digg and ignores the sites comment form anyway.

$97 DISCOUNT [color=#CC0000]DISCOM97[/color], Double bandwidth or disk [color=#CC0000]DISCOMX2BW[/color] or [color=#CC0000]DISCOMX2SPACE[/color] More codes

Ok, thank you guys.