Wordpress and htaccess

I have a advanced one click install of wordpress. I am trying to make my stats accessible. On the wiki I found ‘making stats accessible with htaccess’ I followed the instructions. I downloaded the .htaccess file using the dreamhost webftp, I edited it with pspad and then uploaded it with fileZilla ftp.

When I went back to dreamhost webftp I saw that there was two .htaccess files. I deleted the smaller file (I assumed it was the file without the added code). So only the altered htaccess file remaining. I was still unable to access my stats.

When I checked the site a little later the home page was fine but if I clicked on any link I received this:

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I tried removing the code however this made no difference to the problem

14 hours later I looked back on dreamhost webftp and saw the two htaccess files where visible one with the code and one without. I deleted the one with the extra code. The problem went away and I could access the rest of the site.

Foolishly I tried again with altering the htaccess file and I am back to where I started. I have set fileZilla to ‘force showing hidden files’ I have tried to refresh both fileZilla and webftp to see if there is two htaccess files and an extra one has not appeared.


Why is this happening?
How do I successfully edit the htaccess file in the future? since this has happened twice now.

I suggest you edit it within WebFTP itself. There’s an Edit link on the right side of the screen in the same row as .htaccess.

Personally, I use Transmit for the Mac which lets me edit it within BBEdit without having to manually download and then reupload it. Much like doing it within WebFTP.


Thanks for replying Scott. I will try editing using webFTP in future for editing htaccess.
Alas that doesn’t solve the ‘The requested URL was not found on this server’ issue
Thank You

Go back to wp-admin and under the Settings section, pick Permalinks and set it to what you’d like. Hopefully this will refresh .htaccess. It might wipe out your /stats fix, which you’d need to re-add.


yes that fixed everything. That is the crucial bit of the tale I didn’t mention in the first place this website http://www.squidoo.com/wordpress-not-found-error-fix
said to do that and I tried it not making the connection that I had fixed everything

Thank you Scott for helping me out.