WordPress 3.6

wordpress

Oscar Peterson is one of my favorite Québécois. He’s also the guy they named WordPress 3.6 for.

Check out the amazing release video from WordPress. It’s catchy and the finger-snap was amazingly hilarious.

What’s new:
[list]
[]Twenty Thirteen: We’re shipping this year’s default theme in our first release of the year. Twenty Thirteen is an opinionated, color-rich, blog-centric theme that makes full use of the new Post Formats support.
[
]Audio/Video: You can embed audio and video files into your posts without relying on a plugin or a third party media hosting service.
[]Autosave: Posts are now autosaved locally. If your browser crashes, your computer dies, or the server goes offline as you’re saving, you won’t lose the your post.
[
]Post Locking: See when someone is currently editing a post, and kick them out of it if they fall asleep at the keyboard.
[]Menus: Menus have been changed to an accordion-based UI, and a separate tab for bulk-assigning menus to locations.
[
]Revisions: The all-new revisions UI features avatars, a slider that “scrubs” through history, and two-slider range comparisons.
[*]Login Expiration Warning: If your logged in session expires, WordPress will ask you to log back in without taking you away from the page (which is awesome if you’re editing a post).
[/list]

If you’re extra nerdy, here’s some cool Audio/Video tips and tricks

So far, my tests on DreamHost and DreamPress have been safe, sane and successful, so we’ll be rolling out auto-upgrades over the next couple days… While we’re at DreamCon. Because that’s how we roll.

There’s a 3.6 Troubleshooting Master List up at WordPress.org that I suggest everyone go through first if they’re having problems. It’s curated by all the forum moderators there.

I have been with WordPress since 2.8, and this is the smoothest upgrade so far. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. And the new features are great, especially the revisions UI.