Wordpress 2.1 upgrade fails

wordpress

Hello,

I’m trying to manually upgrade my Wordpress 2.0.7 to 2.1. I followed the detailed instructions on the Wordpress site, tried it two times with no success. Both times I got an error message in the upgrade.php page that says something about not being able to read a cache file because it’s not there. The instruction tells me to delete the cache folder and cache related wp-* files, so I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. I made sure to deactivate all my plugins including the cache plugin.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

H

I haven’t upgraded any real sites yet, but I did a test installation of 2.07 and upgraded it to 2.1 without any problems. I’d try again and Google the exact error message that it gives.

I deleted the wp-admin & wp-includes directories, plus all of the root files except for .htaccess and wp-config.php.

I didn’t get any errors while running /wp-admin/upgrade.php and everything seemed to work okay.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

heh, this is exactly why i’ve been trying to stifle my impatience and wait until dreamhost finally incorporates the 2.1 upgrade into the one-click installs… it drives me a little crazy that they were so on the ball with getting 2.0.7 into the web panel, when it wasn’t even a required upgrade and a major release was coming out a week later, but what can you do…

actually, i found something! http://www.zirona.com/software/wp-manage/ <— a tool that works with your wp installation to auto-upgrade and perform backups. all you have to do is unzip the package into your wp root directory, set a few permissions, and the rest pretty much takes care of itself - i just upgraded from 2.0.7 to 2.1 using it, and it was much less of an ordeal than a manual upgrade, in addition to satisfying my desire for immediate upgrade gratification. i’m a relatively competent computer geek and i still get tangled up in manual wordpress upgrades, somehow - so i understand the frustration, and hope that you find a solution, whether it’s via this software, dreamhost, or anywhere…