WinSCP

This is going to be kind of a silly question but I want to get into the files of my wordpress site to make a child theme and I was going to get into through WinSCP; however, I can’t seem to get it to work. Is this an impossible task? What exactly is my hostname, username, and the password I use to do this?

On the control panel, in the upper left corner there is a link called “Manage Users”. Click there. That will take you to a page that shows you the user name. (The column is called “User” and not “Name”.)

If you click on “edit”, you can assign a new password should you have forgotten it. Both user name and password should have been sent to you in an email when you registered the account.

Recommendation: Change the password if you haven’t done so already. Don’t just use the one that was assigned to you.

The host name is the name of your site (with or without the “www”). If you really want to use the proper name, use “ftp.sitename” (change “sitename” to your site.)

If you want to use SFTP (secure FTP) then change the user type from FTP to SFTP or SHELL and click on the “Save Changes” button.