Windows Application with mySQL connection

software development

may i know if i want to make one windows application, connect to mySQL connection hosted by Dreamhost. how i do it?

1. Server Name: http://mysql.domain.com?

It is not recommended fore security issues.

But if you insist to do this, you may want to refer to this post http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_beginners&Number=69409&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=

keep your user name and password safe when you connec to database remotely

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

how to set the user allow if i want to allow people to connect it?
i create 2 different user to connect it…1st can do everything (admin); 2nd just connect and read the db.

To modify the access privileges for a particular DB user go to Goodies -> Manage MySQL then click on the DB user you wish to modify.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

i already set it. but i’m confused about the %.dreamhost.com <-- what’s this. if i want to set all user can connect it, what i need to set? or else nothing i need to do?

This is where you specify the host names or IP addresses that the user may connect from. If your DB users are only going to access the DB from your DreamHost hosted sites, you do not need to modify this at all. However, if a particular user needs to access the DB from an external system, you need to specify the host name or IP address of the external system here. As has already been mentioned, allowing external access to the DB is an extra security risk and you should be sure that you know what you are doing and are fully aware of this risk before doing it.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

as you means, my application set the database to mysql.abc.com, then my application’s user can connect it direct from the application?

Yes, but you must first add the IP address or host name that the user will be connecting from to the list of valid hosts for that user.

Mark

if you want to connect to database from your local computer, you need to grant the access on your local ip address. For example, if your ip address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, you should grant access on xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

once you grant the access on your IP address, you should increase the security level of your local computer to protect the mysql username and password.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].