Wiki

So I know what wikipedia is and I see that we can start our own Wiki with an easy one click install.

My question is what uses are there for this software other than encyclopedias?

Can this be used as Dynamic database?

What examples have other people seen for ways to use this?

I want to build a database that is quite large and I don’t have a lot of db experience. Being that I want others to contribute to this database, might this be a good option?

Anything else I should know?

thanks, Ryan

They can also be used as a knowledgebase for support of your company’s products. Could be internal use only but also public access. Why don’t you explain more what you want to do and then you might get more response.

Cheers.

Pick your plan from this chart and join Dreamhost today!

My main problem is that I don’t know how to build a database well, nor implement SQL from scratch.

The wiki appeals to me because the site I want to build is to provide information to a specific group of people. It has to do with travel, food, and wine.

SO I like the organizational structure of internal links, and the ability to have a lot of information on one page, while at the same time organized.

Also I’ve read that you can have who contributes limited either by invites or asessing each one individually. Not sure if that’s true, but I would like to make the contributors only invitees.

So I either need to learn sql or find someone who does and is up for a project? Or I find some WYSIWYG type software for a DB.

The wiki though, seems that it might add an interesting twist to my idea, and I like the idea of being able to do it myself. I may be wrong in assuming that a wiki is easy too build.

Hope this information might help clear up some of the questions.