Wiki users locked out! Lockout won't expire

I’m using the free dreamhost apps and i’m having a problem with the wiki. I’ve had a few unsuccessful login attempts with my main user as well as the admin and i get this error message:

[quote]Login error
You have made too many recent attempts on this account’s password. Please wait before trying again. [/quote]

I’ve waited days, submitted a help request to dreamhost which they have not replied to in days… (probably holiday season).

I’ve opened up the wiki to everyone, tried creating a new user so i can maybe delete or modify the old one but no luck.

Unfortunately with the free hosting i don’t have access to the back end… can anyone suggest anything that i can do to get those users’ lock-out to expire!!!

This is aggrivating as hell! I’ve submitted 2 support requests to Dreamhost and nobody has replied! This is a really simple request. What’s funny here is i’m trying to demo this to my collegues company and they think this is sort of a joke. I know dreamhost hopes that people upgrade from the free hosting apps but how can i when they won’t fix issues or give basic support! I say 2 thumbs down for DH so far… IS ANYONE OUT THERE READING SUPPORT REQUESTS!!!

I think this might be a case of ‘you get what you pay for’… How much did you pay? What kind of support do you expect for that price?

exactly…

however, you’d think they’d provide basic support for this free service (and they have in the past!), especially because its an advertising tool for them to get people to upgrade AND its an obvious flaw in their setup (aka, not something on my end).

I would think that the cost involved in providing support for a set of applications that basically run themselves would dramatically decrease their return on investment. Think about it. If they are offering the apps for free as ‘an advertising tool’, well then their initial cost is to set everything up, automate it, and let it go. The increase in CPU time, bandwidth, etc would be minimal if at all noticeable compared to the hundreds of thousands of paying accounts. If they have 500,000 people use the free services and provide support for 10% of them, how much increased cost would that be? Right now, if even 50% of the free users have a trouble-free experience, that’s a lot of potential new customers for a trivial cost. Getting a few more by paying a live human to deal with some minor problems gets expensive quickly. It doesn’t make business sense to provide any support at all for a free service.

However, something is malfunctioning, so it’s in their best interest to make the system more bulletproof. Just look through the forums here. It’s not often that people post “Hey, everything’s fine.” The OP has a legitimate issue with a service DreamHost is offering. DreamHost should fix it.

I agree, they should. But considering how much it costs them vis-a-vis their return on investment, I’m sure these requests are among the lowest priority for them. If the wiki didn’t work for all free users, then I’m sure they would jump on it. But it sounds like the users locked themselves out, which is more of a user problem rather than a problem with the code or setup. I’m just saying that you get what you pay for, and if you want better service, especially when it relates to something you may have done wrong, then it helps to pay. The easiest solution for the OP is to create a new wiki, which does work, and then create at least one account with a very memorable password to keep in reserve should they lock themselves out again. It’s like putting a spare key under a rock in the garden when you are house sitting (rent-free).

The error indicates a timelock. The timelock isn’t working. It’s not something many users will encounter, so it’s not going to show up often. The user should get some sort of response from support. As a mechanism for attracting new users, effective support is a good attractor for a host.

True, and I agree (as before) that it should be fixed. But I’m just trying to point out why DH is probably not going to respond to this request any time soon. It’s the 80/20 rule. Working on this small request is probably going to result in little, if no payback as s/he’s unlikely to become a paying customer. Whereas fixing some other bug / request that affects more paying customers or more potential paying customers, will likely make more sense.

Welp, i do manage my passwords and it didn’t work, even better, a new password request didn’t work either. Basic support is a must for hosting, even when free - as sdayman said its a good attractor for a host. The irony here is that i only discovered this during a demo to someone else (a real potential customer) so at least i feel satisfied that their lack of support cost them a customer and future revenue. Also, i had other issues in the past where they replied without a problem! Oh AND i could see someone trying to perhaps fix this issue as there were admin password requests on my account.

Yes I could delete and setup the wiki, but i don’t see a database restore option so i do NOT want to loose all my info i put in! So what did i do? I installed my own, configured and migrated the data! In the end, the old saying i go by remains true - you get what you pay for :slight_smile:

ps. i’ve been working in hosting for years and this is downright unacceptable.