Wiki Request - Safe Apps / Safe Loads!

Something that I think would be a greatly beneficial addition to the already spectacular Dreamhost Wiki, would be an article on the known safe usage of Dreamhost’s servers… things like:

What apps and plugins are known to work well without straining resources.

What types of loads they can take.

For instance, Wordpress, with a certain basic set of plugins like WP-Cache can be expected to work fine with so many visitors at a time, so many visitors per day/month.

Same for such commonly used apps as phpBB, SMF, Drupal and whatever else is hugely popular.

I think an article like that would probably be one of the most useful possible. It would require a pretty good bit of effort to achieve, and many people would need to contribute, but so, so worthwhile! I would think that it would be helpful for Dreamhost support to contribute heavily because they are the ones who monitor the servers and have “seen it all”. I personally do not have any sites that come eve close to pushing the limits so really have nothing of use to contribute, but would LOVE to read it and get a clear idea of what can be “gotten away with”.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain

I agree! It would be quite an undertaking, though…

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

It definitely would be for “us” but if Dreamhost was willing to contribute data it would be MUCH easier.

Another thing to add to it would be known trouble making scripts… a list of plugins and whatnot that are more or less guaranteed to cause trouble. Dreamhost should be able to help with that no problem… just give us a list of things that they’ve had to kill under what would otherwise be an ok load.

If any of you long timers have any connections to the inside, it would be awesome if you’d inquire about getting something started!

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain

I found this page in the wiki a while back. Looks like a great place to put this sort of information.