Why should i one click install?

Are there any benefits for me if I do a one click install rather than installing… how the installation guides tell me to? (other than the fact that clicking once is easier than uploading, installing, configuring, etc.) (And yes, I have had experience installing things like Wordpress, Textpattern, Joomla!, Drupal, etc.)

If you understand the “nuances” of DreamHost’s suexec environment and are capable of doing your own installations, I see no advantage at all to “one-click” installs (and I see several potential disadvantages). :wink:

I think the main value is for those who don’t have the skills or knowledge, or who just want an ultra-convenient “all in one” solution (for instance, WordPress’s install includes a bunch of templates).

Some would argue that the “one-click” upgrade feature is a good reason to use them, but I see no need, and like to have better control of my upgrades anyway.

–rlparker

Really they’re only for the lazy and somewhat inept management types like me. :slight_smile:

I also like the notifications of upgrades. I’m always going to the panel anyway and it’s convenient to see which sites have to be upgraded.

That’s also a downside as it does take a few days or weeks from a release to when it’s available as a one-click upgrade.

There’s also the fact that the original installation (and presumably upgrades) are somewhat supported. Note the somewhat. :confused:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Ha ha ha! Well, I wouldn’t go that far, and all evidence on these forums indicates that you are neither inept or not lazy! :slight_smile:

You make some good points about some of the value of “one-click” installs and I agree that if there is a problem with a “one-click”, you are likely to have better luck getting support to help because of that “provide by Dreamhost” aspect of the thing. :wink:

–rlparker

I use the Wordpress one-click for installation because I’m lazy, but I don’t like the one-click upgrade and always do that manually.

If the other upgrades are like WP, then I’d say avoid those on any scripts where you apply a bunch of mods or edit the code, etc.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

I’ll admit I have done the same, but I am often frustrated with the “one-click” requirement that a directory be completely empty before the installation can begin, so I got out of the habit of doing it. :wink:

–rlparker

Yeah, but my level of laziness often means the site already has zero content, so it’s not an issue. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not so much of an issue for people that want them in directories like /blog, /gallery, /wiki, etc… but a little extra work for someone that already has other directories and wants to run something like WP in the root directory.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).

Yep! You nailed it exactly. I kept running into it when trying to add Joomla! or WP in the the root as part of converting an existing site - index.html functions to serve the existing content while index.php loads up the Joomla!/WP making it easy for “users” to migrate the content - then when they are ready, I just delete the old site’s files, and the new site is live. :slight_smile:

I know it is not the best way to do it, but I’m lazy too sometimes. :wink:

It is actually better to “properly” stage a developing site on it’s own domain/subdomain (protected with .htaccess authentication), or “offline” completely (and that is what I ususally do), but sometimes I’m tempted to just do it “quick and dirty”.

–rlparker

One time, I was going to put a one-click WP in a directory that wasn’t empty… had a few HTML pages, images directory, etc…

I was so lazy that instead of doing a manual installation, I had a browser open for the one-click & Putty open to move everything into another directory, do the one-click, then move it all back.

It was basically the online equivalent of peeing in your pants because you’re too lazy to walk to the bathroom. :stuck_out_tongue:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: HA HA HA! I LOVE IT! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

–rlparker

Oh come now, it’s not that bad! :slight_smile:

I’d say it’s only on the order of peeing in the shower. :open_mouth:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

So basically, the only benefit is for support reasons and… if I feel like… peeing in my pants/shower.

I think I can get over that and do my installations manually… And also, is an one click install pretty much exactly the same as doing a “real” install? Just wondering because I hear that for some hacks/mods, you would need a “real” install.

Thanks

Yep, unless you change something in the file structure layout, or some other major change, during your manual install, the end result is much the same either way.

Any “hack/mods” that you do are likely to require special attention during at install and/or upgrade time no matter how you install the thing. Obviously, a “once-click” won’t include any such stuff, while some “packages” you might come across may.

A “one-click” upgrade of a “once-click” install will overwrite such changes just as a careless manually back up will (though the “one-click” upgrade does “automagically” create a back-up of your old installation (which you should, of course, be doing when you “manually” back up also).

I think it’s all just a matter of personal preference. You can have the “one-click” robot install for you, or you can install yourself - the result is the same and each method has advantages and disadvantages, at installation time and again at upgrade time.

–rlparker

When I signed up for Dreamhost I didn’t know how to upload wordpress to my domain. So I installed Wordpress using 1 click install. All newbies should use the 1 click install. If you are comfortable uploading files using an ftp client and configuring Wp then I would suggest you to install WP on your own method.

Get $50 off on your dreamhost registration. Use the code [color=#CC0000]50MEEVY[/color]

Grab the $97 promo code here.