Why Server Status still shows 100% Historical Uptime?

Allow me to bring this up AGAIN: we all know that there was a power outage Monday and the servers were down (no disputes, right?), but then why does my Historical Uptime (Control Panel > Status > Server Status) still shows 100% All Time (Last Updated 1 hour 13 mins ago)??

If it cannot even document a downtime like what we all experienced Monday, may I ask what is the purpose of keeping it?? AGAIN, a third party monitoring like that of WebSitePulse.com (included free with 2 of my other hosting providers) would render much more reliable and useful stats.

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

I have to agree. I just ignore that, since it doesn’t seem to actually ever change.

To my question:

[quote]My Historical Uptime reports has many errors e.g.

What’s up?

[/quote]

Support replied:

[quote]…at this time the uptime page is little more than useless.

[/quote]

As to

[quote]may I ask what is the purpose of keeping it??

[/quote]

Good question.

I really don’t see the why you are so concerned? I think the main idea of the page is so that if a service crashed a user can notify support if support isn’t aware.

The other thing is this is probably output from netsaint or nagios (not sure if they have updated to nagios) so it’s really not supposed to be a server monitoring service.

Should DreamHost have an offsite monitoring service/more detailed stats for dedicated servers? Yes!

For shared servers I don’t know of many hosts that offer this and I don’t see a reason, especially if the e-mail (incoming) is not on your shared server like it is with dedicated and I know they monitor their mail servers really well.

happylittlethings.com
Promo Code: WJD50 - $50.00 off any new DreamHost plan

I must not be understanding your statement. We are seeing that if a system goes down, there’s a good chance that support wont notice since their uptime checker is unreliable at best. Do you not find issue with that?

[quote]I really don’t see the why you are so concerned?

[/quote]

I guess most of us don’t want to look like a fool when asked by either a client or visitor; however, this is exactly the case when the historical uptime stats are NOT telling the truth and the whole truth.

Q: “This or that website was down Monday for quite a few hours.”

A: “According to our records, there have been zero downtime in the past 12 months.”

[quote]I think the main idea of the page is so that if a service crashed a user can notify support if support isn’t aware.

[/quote]

With all due respect, I honestly don’t think any decent host would rely on their customers to report a down server; they should be the first to know that.

[quote]For shared servers I don’t know of many hosts that offer this and I don’t see a reason

[/quote]

The 2 other hosting providers I mentioned offer WebSitePulse.com monitoring for free with their shared servers plans.

To have lived is not enough for them, they have to talk about it. – Samuel Beckett

Yeah but I would have to assume their software is probably a little more detailed and updates more often.

I’m sure they do monitor services but they cannot monitor services for each domain and on shared hosting it doesn’t make sense to. On dedicated it does.

The other thing is in this case yeah the stats server was a down and they knew there was a problem.

As for my personal experience, i’ve never had a problem with support not knowing something is down support seems to know the problem right away even though the stats don’t show it so they have to have something else internally.

Also problems are usually (at least for me things that arn’t monitored by default) like the .snapshot directory has a broken alias for weekly or webdav is borked. Name a host, even dedicated that monitors that stuff.

happylittlethings.com

[quote]I really don’t see the why you are so concerned?

[/quote]

I wonder what makes you think I’m “so concerned”.

[quote]I think the main idea of the page is so that if a service
crashed a user can notify support if support isn’t aware.

[/quote]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=historical
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=uptime

Having said which, the offending page has just been taken down, and replaced by:

[quote]We have decided to decommission the system status page until
we are able to make it more accurately reflect actual system uptimes![/quote]

[quote]I’m sure they do monitor services but they cannot monitor services for each domain and on shared hosting it doesn’t make sense to. On dedicated it does.

The other thing is in this case yeah the stats server was a down and they knew there was a problem.

As for my personal experience, i’ve never had a problem with support not knowing something is down support seems to know the problem right away even though the stats don’t show it so they have to have something else internally.[/quote]
I don’t like to make assumptions. Additionally, all of my sites have been down four times within the last two weeks. At least once they did not notice until I messaged them after seeing my sites were down. Another time I was told “I do not know what happened with it because I
do not have my usual server monitoring logs from earlier this morning.”

Just noticed the status page now reads:
[i]Decommissioned!
We have decided to decommission the system status page until we are able to make it more accurately reflect actual system uptimes! Our apologies.
In the meantime, if you can’t access your site, there’s always our announcements area and even blog.dreamhost.com.

If those are down, something bad is afoot, so please visit our off-site emergency status page at status.dreamhost.com.

Thank you for your understanding!
The Happy DreamHost Realistic Status Team![/i]

But it was also called the “Server Status” tab not the historical uptime tab. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah I wasn’t referring to you with being so concerned. Kind of at prufrock. But then again I’ve never had a client complain about servers being down because I’ve always been able to see the problem and let them know and I rarely have any issues.

happylittlethings.com

[quote]But it was also called the “Server Status” tab not the historical uptime tab. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Check the original post. We’re talking not about the name of the tab but the information on the page, under the heading Historical Uptime.

[quote]Oh yeah I wasn’t referring to you with being so concerned. Kind of at prufrock.

[/quote]

OK…

[quote]But then again I’ve never had a client complain about servers
being down because I’ve always been able to see the problem
and let them know and I rarely have any issues.

[/quote]

Fair enough, but some of us are not so fortunate.

[quote]Oh yeah I wasn’t referring to you with being so concerned. Kind of at prufrock.

[/quote]

Yes, I know. :smiley: And with the Server Status now “decommissioned”, I could safely say that our guys at DreamHost finally share that concern too.

To be honest, for a decent and reliable host, I’ll need either a) superb uptime (like what DreamHost used to have, which from my experience rounding near 99.95% ), or b) trustworthy uptime/downtime monitoring. They could be exclusive to each other, i.e., if I can have a), then I won’t be needing b); not necessarily vice versa though. :wink:

"Thank you for your understanding!
The Happy DreamHost Realistic Status Team! "

Too funny…

If they are realistic now, what were they before??

optimistic? :wink:

hey prufrock and snokarver,

thank you! maybe you two are the ones who have finally put to rest Dreamhost’s Server Report pages, ‘decommissioned’ - too damn funny! thank goodness too cause they never really seemed accurate at all…especially not even recording the outage.

i’m all for Dreamhost being more reliable in the future.