Why not cPanel?

wordpress

Well, I am a new Dreamhost customer.

Anyways, I was wondering why does Dreamhost uses its own Web Panel instead of using cPanel? No offensive, but I think that the cPanel has more features and functionalities. Also, the “one-click install” is much, more effecient and faster.

Why not cPanel, then?

Cpanel is expensive and requires a very specific network setup. Using it means you manage things the Cpanel way, period. While a lot of companies apparently don’t mind this, this clearly isn’t going to work for everyone.

I looked at Cpanel briefly when evaluating systems like this for the company I work for, but after reading its requirements (including not supporting Debian), seeing the price, and noting the complete lack of technical information on how it works behind the scenes, I ruled it out completely.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

I’ve used both an prefer DH’s panel, though I wouldn’t mind if it was a little faster.

I think the main reasons have probably been covered, but I’d just add that a nice thing about them not using CPanel is not having to worry about being affected by CPanel exploits.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

i miss the excellent stats i had at my last host. the stats system here is really basic. also, i can’t find any sort of raw error logs here, that sucks too.

[quote]Why not cPanel, then?

[/quote]

That’s because these guys (at DreamHost) are GEEKS, and they just LOVE to work/play on something of their own, very similar to when you custom build your own PC instead of buying a Gateway or Dell. :wink:

Get [color=#CC0000]$50 Off[/color] with promo code DAYDREAM at DreamHost.com

Probably not a “trouble-shooting” question. Oh well.

I’ve used many different web admin interfaces doing work on other people’s sites and I hate cpanel the most. DH’s interface is pretty good. I have a “free” hosted site and they have the best panel, for my money. Shell access is the only way to go :slight_smile:

http://phpfunk.com

You could give AWStats a try.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

oh, didn’t know about that… thanks, i’ll check it out.
i’ll try awstats too. i think that’s one of the stats things my last host had. they had like, 5 or 6 differnt stats systems set up…

Well I’ve ruled out why cPanel is better. I’ll put it as my personal opinion. Just take a look — the MySQL set-up takes up ten minutes of time, the phpBB2 set-up doesn’t installs everything automatically. Yes I’m lazy, but can’t do without it.

The file manager in cPanel has this feature which allows user to extract an uploaded .zip file from the interface itself — saving time.

I got Dreamhost because (my website) it’s fast, has a generous storage capacity, and high bandwidth. Just… improve on the user interface and I’ll play along with it. =)

keeps the riff raff out

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

I hate cPanel. I really hate any hosts that required us to use it. cPanel has turned into a “oh, we don’t have to give our users access, we have cPanel” excuse. cPanel should buuuuuurrrrrrrnnnnn…

I’m SOOOOO happy DH does NOT reply on that pos software for their work. Not to mention relying on cPanel puts a HUGE issue on upgrades – a host I have to deal with uses cPanel but cannot update PHP or Apache cause “it’s not compatiable” peeves me off. And yes, they’ve complete restricted access to ANYTHING: no SSH; No SFTP; I can’t even use my own bloody MySQL admin client to do mysql stuff. I have to use commandline or cPanel. UGH … I HATE IT!

This explains what Site5.com was using and why I hated it so much. Their Site Manager was possibly an older version of cPanel’s WebHost manager as I navigated the demo and made a bandwidth limit change it output the same exact messages. I knew they were running cPanel for the other end of things though. Fantastico is an addon for cPanel so any host advertising as having Fantastico is definately running cPanel.

P.S. - I left Site5.com because there were problems with my account. You have to setup a primary domain. If you ever need it changed it is very complicated and time consuming. It screwed up my account and took 2 or 3 weeks to fully resolve. I ended up cancelling and getting a complete refund. Signed up here and havn’t looked back since.

Mint is the best stats program:
http://www.haveamint.com/

i personally dont care if its cpanel or whatever, as long as i can setup wordpress and gallery in 1 click thats all i need :slight_smile:

Use the coupon code FIVEZEROOFF when signing up to Dreamhost for an instant $50 off!

Isn’t the point of a good control panel to make things easier on the end user? Be it cpanel or another type of control system, it should be very easy for any type of user to navigate through.

I’ve been using the cpanel with my “other host” for a long time now and I prefer it hands down to this system. I understand that the developers of this site may be hardcore like someone else mentioned in an above post, but that’s not the point at all (and I’m not saying that this is the case). It’s about giving the customer a solid yet very simple way of installing what they need or want.

Cpanel has come along way since some of you may have looked into it. The features offered in it (including fantastico) are so convenient that it makes installing php software a breeze; literally it takes less than 2 minutes to install a full working version of phpnuke or any other add on of this sort. On top of that, cpanel comes with a huge amount of features that I’ve listed below.

Account overview
SimpleSite Manager
File Manager
Change Password
Disk usage
Backup

Support
Support Center
Knowledgebase
Submit Ticket
View Ticket Status
Provide Feedback
midPhase Talk

Email & FTP
Mail
Webmail
FTP Manager

Domains & Stats
Parked Domains
Addon Domains
Subdomains
Web/FTP Stats
Raw Log Manager
Raw Access Logs
Error log
Subdomain Stats
Search Engine SubmitIndex Manager

Advanced Tools
Password Protect Directories
Error pages
MySQL Databases
Network Tools
Redirects
MIME Types
Apache Handlers
Frontpage Extensions
Manage OpenPGP Keys
HotLink Protection
IP Deny Manager

Scripts Library
Scripts Library
Fantastico
Chatroom
CGI Center
PhpMyChat
Bulletin Board

Now one of the most important things about cpanel (besides its functionality) is its very pleasing and convenient GUI, which is a key factor when you’re talking about customer use. It’s all about how easy it is for a customer to find what he or she is looking for and install it with the push of a button, that’s what cpanel provides for me and many others.

I am not in anyway trying to slam DreamHost in anyway, its just that I think it would be that much more of a plus to do hosting with them if this was a feature. I don’t see how price plays a part in this either, as the “other” hosting companies offer cpanel with there hosting at the same price as DH does, with almost identical specs for hosting packages.

The features offered in it (including fantastico) are so convenient that it makes installing php software a breeze; literally it takes less than 2 minutes to install a full working version of phpnuke or any other add on of this sort.

DH does not sell itself as an easy-to-use web host for beginners. They pretty clearly cater to the more technically knowledgeable; for example, people who don’t balk at installing these types of web applications for themselves. This is ok, there’s room for both types of hosting companies. This appeals to me, as I appreciate being able to do things myself, but I’ll be the first to admit it won’t work for everyone.

On top of that, cpanel comes with a huge amount of features that I’ve listed below.

Aside from automated installers, I don’t see many things in that list that DH doesn’t provide through their own control panel. A web-based file manager is the only big thing I can pick out.

Now one of the most important things about cpanel (besides its functionality) is its very pleasing and convenient GUI

Speak for yourself. Having used Cpanel a little bit I found it fairly confusing. Granted, I didn’t use it long, or more than once or twice, but the thing to remember is that personal preferences play a large part in this. I don’t know what kind of usability testing either DH or Cpanel has done, if any, but I personally find the DH panel more usable.

I don’t see how price plays a part in this either, as the “other” hosting companies offer cpanel with there hosting at the same price as DH does, with almost identical specs for hosting packages.

In addition to dollar amount, do also look at flexibility, which Cpanel does not provide. Custom software can be modified in any way to adapt to changes in network architecture or types of services. Proprietary, closed-source software like Cpanel cannot, which means that once you commit to using it, you’re forever constrained by what their developers want and how they think you should run things, even down to the operating system you use. Now, obviously the “Cpanel way” works for a lot of hosts, but it won’t work for everyone, and especially not for anyone who has their own preferences in how they run things.

So the non-monetary costs can be much higher than just the literal price tag. If it requries making fundamental changes to your network, even free (ie, gratis) software may not be worth the cost.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Cpanel has come along way since some of you may have looked into it.

I use it currently on another host. I hate it. Like I said above, it’s turned into a “cPanel has everything, user doesn’t need anything else” application. They’ve put up a giant arse firewall blocking EVERYTHING. I can’t get any work done. cPanel’s file manager blows chunks…

• I can’t just do a quick ‘vi’ on a file to fix minor bugs that may come up.
  • ‘cp’, lord help me…'cp ', I can’t do that.
  • phpMyAdmin? I’d rather use my own application, it’s faster, but I can’t. Because they have phpMyAdmin, they blocked remote access to port 3306.
  • Command line creation of quick tmp sql scripts? Nope, can’t do that.
  • MySQL Dumps? Nope, can’t do that simply either.
  • MySQL Imports? OMG, forget that…A friend of mine was UNABLE to import a DB cause it was so big (about 30 megs, that’s not big), phpMyAdmin was unable to process it. And with port 3306 blocked, he couldn’t use a client side program to stream it…
  • Setup a quick cron? Not very quick within cPanel.

I would fully agree with kchrist statement: DH does not sell itself as an easy-to-use web host for beginners. They pretty clearly cater to the more technically knowledgeable. Doesn’t take a newbie looking at the spec offerings on their hosting plans to see this. The key reason I’ve been with DH, onto 2.5 years now, is because they aim closer towards technical users and I can get real technical answers from them. On top of that, DH staff really does know how to lock a server down; first webhost I’ve been on where I don’t have free roam of config files. :slight_smile:

Another issue I have with cPanel; installing cPanel removes control from the administrators and puts it onto cPanel. You start relying on cPanel for security updates, software updates, etc. As of a month ago when I looked, cPanel wasn’t even PHP5 compliant. Their BETA was, but not their official released version. I mean, PHP5’s gonna be two this summer and we still have main stream applications no working with it? Come on now…I have no idea on their MySQL5 compliance. They rely on phpMyAdmin, but they do need to update phpMyAdmin to gain compliance.

PS: For those of you that Want phpMyAdmin, I might add it’s in a more convenient location than cPanel for DH. Your MySQL hostname is also the URL to your phpMyAdmin panel. port 3306 is the MySQL server whereas port 80 is the phpMyAdmin install.

I’m with the cpanel haters. It’s better than nothing (as compared to a super-limited control panel I had to deal with at a previous host, for example), but it irritates the hell out of to use it much. That file manager popping open all those new windows–argh.