Why Limit subdomains?

I been hosting @ DH for a while now and always wondered why limit the number of Subdomains you can host on any plans? I can understand limiting the number of domains per account but why limit subdomains??

Interested in feedback on this, should we as a forum approach DH and request that the number of subdomains not be limited or limited to a high number that effectively would meet realistic requirements??

At present the limits are

IE Crazy Insane - 15 Subdomains
IE Sweet Dreams - 35 subdomains
IE Code - 75 Subdomains
Ie Strictly Business - 155 Subdomains

My best guess would be it has something to do with the virtual server configuration. Lots of hosts offer unlimited sub-domains but they are only mirror sub-domains and are not a “full domain.” If you compare sub-domains to domains on your plan they act a lot like domains and even have mail.

Not really a technical explanation but that would be my best guess as to why DreamHost limits it.

One more thing to note is they do offer unlimited mirror/redirect domains and sub-domains

happylittlethings.com

I can understand limiting the number of domains per account but why limit subdomains??

They do offer additional subdomains. You just have to pay for them.

75 subdomains for a $20/month account isn’t realistic to you? Can I introduce to you the concept of putting stuff in subdirectories on a single domain? There’s usually no need for even a single subdomain if it’s going to be run off the same server.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

I am actually well aware you can add extra domains for additional $$$ but it does not answer the original question why limit them in the first place…

As for the subdomain / subdirectory thing been there got the tshirt, does not meet my requirements and plenty of reasons for subdomains if you want to run multiple boards / communities / ftp mirror sites etc…

WJD,

I expect your answer is closer to the truth, I am just interested in why limit it in the first place as you have pointed it out other hosting companies do not limit this or have it set to a large number…

:slight_smile: 155 sounds about the perfect limit for subdomains… :slight_smile: I am just interested in why the limit (level 1 is set to 15) which is fairly low on the scale of things while level 3 (I cannot think of why anyone would have a level 2 account when it is priced the same as level 3) has 75 which is a fair jump.

I had a few friends inquire about it, saying why limit the number of subdomains and it has gotten me interested enough to post on the forum…

You do have an unlimited number of mirrored and redirected subdomains, something I’ve used to create shorter addresses to things.

– Dan

The simplest explanation is that with a limited number, you have an incentive to upgrade to a more expensive account. They are here to make money, after all.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

[quote]The simplest explanation is that with a limited number, you have an
incentive to upgrade to a more expensive account. They are here to make
money, after all.

[/quote]

This was true at some point, but is less so now. As has been mentioned, almost nobody ever uses the number of sub-domains we offer now.

The real reasons:

Each sub-domain still entails an entry in our web server configuration files, with each in turn increasing the length of time it takes to generate them. The more ‘sites’ we host, too, also increases the complexity of our systems and sheer potential for problems to develop on any given sub-domain. This means added support loads. Again, for the most part, this isn’t a huge issue as most people never use that many sub-domains.

The other big reason: from a UI standpoint, the web panel isn’t very well suited to extremely large numbers of domains or sub-domains. Anyone who has tons and tons of them can probably attest to this first-hand.

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see us offer unlimited sub-domains at some point in the future, though it’s one of those bullet points on marketing text that illicits “oohs!” and “ahhs!” but is rarely if ever used.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

I bet “PHP5” and “Ruby on Rails” would get even more “oohs!” and “ahh!s” than unlimited subdomains.

I’ve never really seen the point in having umpteen subdomains, anyway. It’s nice to have a few, but as has already been pointed out, folders work really well too!

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

[quote]I bet “PHP5” and “Ruby on Rails” would get even more “oohs!” and
"ahh!s" than unlimited subdomains.

[/quote]

I agree, and they would be more substantive/useful features to add. They’re also a lot harder to implement and test, but… :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin