Why is the connection so slow?

Hi,
the connection of my website is so slow.
When taking this zoomify picture as example it is really pain in the ass how the server is creeping. Maybe Dreamhost is only connected via 10MB at least the speed is indicating it.
Are there any soltutions for it?
Writing the support does not help that much, shortly it is becoming faster and after a few days the same slowness.
Example: A zoomify panorama
http://www.panodrom.com/files/zoom/Fisetengrat.html

Thomas

Considering that the source image is 1.3 GIGApixels, it’s not a surprise that it’s a bit on the slow side.

You might want to SSH into the server and run the ‘top’ command and watch the server load as you view the page in your browser.

In other words, I don’t think it’s necessarily the connection; it’s probably the server slowing down to process the image.

-Scott

The picture is divided in thousand of tiles some kb big each. So lading is no problem, as only parts get loaded.
When I download a file from my site max speed is 24kb/s. And friends from US, Asia and other parts of Europe have the same creepy speed.
The problem is that when I contact the support it is ok for a few days and than the speed went down again.
I know that I can not expect a good connection for the price but 24kb/s that is evil.
Thomas

I get 2-4 mbs upload and download speeds at DH.

This app does seem to make a lot of download requests.

BTW, when you quote 24kb/s are you including the connection and RTT overhead?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

Contrary to popular belief, breaking a large image into multiple images does not improve the download speed. In fact, it actually makes it slower as the server and client have to make more simultaneous connections across the same physical hardware.

Edit: I forgot about the server’s max connection limit being reached and causing all additional connection requests to be queued making it look like a slow connection.

Visit me, please…
www.theraven7.com

First of all I want to make it perfectly clear that I was completely jealous of Lensman when I heard him say he gets 2-4mbs upload. Is your Internet connection provided by Ferrari or do you only connect to your LAN? :wink:

Secondly I have never seen 24kb/s down from my sites ever. I typically experience 170-500KB/s and sometimes upwards of 1MB/s. I have a friend in California that claims he sometimes sees upwards of 4MB/s downloads from my sites, but I can’t confirm those insane numbers. I do have a great deal of faith in his word though.

All I can say is that the size of your file’s fragments and the delay I am seeing in downloading those pieces do not make me point a finger at bandwidth initially. Here is a screenshot I took of my Firebug details. It certainly makes me curious about what sort of processing happens with zoomify. Do you experience similarly frustrating performance from your site when downloading an archived file through ftp?

Thanks, man! No, I was at work in NY and uploading a giant file I needed to transfer to my wife. (Oops, did I say that… No, I was a uploading a giant file I wanted to host for my family web site!). We have a 100 mbs symmetric connection at work and I’ve been able to get 20-30mbit upload speeds to nearby servers in speed tests.

That’s exactly what I was seeing! Have you taken a look at what goes on when you zoom? It’s easy to top out the connection capacity of the server - particularly if your users have the “number of simultaneous connections allowed” hacked to some high number.

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!