Why DreamObjects Bandwidth costs so much vs VPS?

dreamcompute

Greetings,

On VPS, I have “unlimited bandwidth” set up on Dreamhost. I’m kind of interested in possibly moving to DreamCompute some day for the extra RAM and resources at better prices. I’ll most certainly need DreamObjects to buy cheap disk space to hold all the product/profile images, which will increase in size gradually over time.

Why does the outbound bandwidth cost so much? If I switched today, the bandwidth costs alone would be more than my entire VPS setup currently on Dreamhost. Why isn’t it “unlimited” like the VPS package? Is there a way to get cheaper bandwidth like with VPS? Is it more expensive for Dreamhost if users are using DreamCompute vs VPS?

As for DreamObjects, I don’t need anything fancy, just cheap disk space and bandwidth. My pages simply load product/info photos on page load, but has a lot of traffic. I don’t need anything special for Apps/APIs or multi-region CDN with ultra-fast setups.

Thanks
Kind regards

There is a huge difference in technology between VPS and DreamObjects. Don’t think of DreamObjects as ‘disk space’ because that mental approach is likely to create headaches for you. DreamObjects is object storage, a bucket at which you throw files. It’s not a folder, it’s not a filesystem, you don’t mount dreamobjects. You PUT and GET files at a URL instead.

With DreamObjects you automatically get features like automatic replication of your objects, which decreases dramatically the chances of your data going to digital hell. Those features are not available on VPS.

Bandwidth costs for DreamObjects are among the lowest in the industry, plus DreamHost doesn’t charge for upload nor for API calls as many competitors do. Compared to DreamHost VPS, the cost of storage on DreamObjects is very low and that may balance things out… maybe not for you though. You’ll have to run your calculations and evaluate your technology to decide which combination of products makes the most sense for you.

Thanks for the info. Dreamhost definitely has the cheapest compute/object hosting out there by a mile (in case any other customers are reading this), although it seems a bit expensive for my situation (compared to Dreamhost VPS). Unfortunately, I’m a little more confused now about DreamObjects. I’m a noob at the whole Cloud/Compute/Objects hosting, so I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Here is what I’m dealing with: My largest site (online auctions) has about 900,000 different products. There are about 300GB of photos for that one site with each main image roughly about 40kb in size, and I have them in an organized file structure, image file path is referenced in a MySQL database, maximum of 10 images per product, each image has a few smaller thumbnail sizes:

product 1, image 1:
mysite.com/images/2/5/image744352.jpg // main image
mysite.com/thumbnails/32/2/5/image744352.jpg
mysite.com/thumbnails/100/2/5/image744352.jpg
mysite.com/thumbnails/250/2/5/image744352.jpg

product 1, image 2:
mysite.com/images/2/5/image3234.jpg // main image
mysite.com//thumbnails/32/2/5/image3234.jpg
mysite.com/thumbnails/100/2/5/image3234.jpg
mysite.com/thumbnails/250/2/5/image3234.jpg

When a visitor views my category pages (which lists products), there could be 200 different small thumbnails loading all at once - one for each product, and if a product page loads, there could be 10 thumbnails loading, plus about 20 “related products” images loading up. Sellers on my site are uploading images for their products all the time as well, my script automatically produces thumbnails and puts their sizes in appropriate thumbnail directories on the site file system. There’s tons of images and tons more small thumbnails (over a million in all).

I’m sure there is way for DreamObjects to do this, but “should” it be used for this type of setup? I’m not exactly sure how the PUT and GET requests are going to work for this. (Is it like you get a “key” for each image/thumbnail object upon image upload, store the reference key in database, upon page load - do an API call to the image object based on that key to get image file = 200 API calls per pageview to list 200 images?) I would think a disk file system like the one I have set up would be easier and more efficient?

The other option I see is “block storage” on Dreamcompute may work, but $10/mo per 100GB seems a little steep as well (since Dreamhost VPS has unlimited disk space), especially if I ever wanted to back up the images for these larger sites. 1TB would be nice, but it would cost $100 per month just for disk space. Couldn’t Dreamhost just buy a $50 1TB hard drive on NewEgg, plug it in and charge $20/mo? :slight_smile:

Note to anyone else reading this: I’m a complete noob at cloud/objects. So, much of what I say about cloud is probably inaccurate or doesn’t make sense.

Thanks
Kind regards

@peppy your site needs a solid plan to continue growing. It is worth looking into object storage, but there are other aspects of your design that can mitigate the resource usage for image bandwidth.

I’ve had success using DreamObjects for storage, but using the WordPress media library to manage uploads (even for users submitting images, via forms on the frontend). Then I hook into other services, like an image compression process. And I send all bandwidth through a CDN (specifically KeyCDN, which has the set of features, price and geography I prefer), so it is very inexpensive.

Here is a screenshot of one site from the last month, bandwidth-wise:

I think I pay on average about $25 a month for that site.

So for an auction site I would probably use DreamPress or a custom VPS to run WordPress, DreamObjects or some other object storage solution to hold all the files, and then a CDN to server assets (images, but also other things like CSS or JS).

You are asking about the cost between a VPS and DreamObjects, but as Stefano mentioned, they aren’t the same thing; they serve different purposes. :slight_smile:

I don’t use WordPress at all for my auction site. Why aren’t you using VPS which has free unlimited bandwidth and cheaper disk space? Wouldn’t that be cheaper, or is DreamObjects mostly for a slight speed advantage?

Because it is not unlimited: https://www.dreamhost.com/legal/unlimited-policy/

The unlimited policy is great for people that need a new or small website, and don’t want to consider if they can budget a sudden surge in traffic. DreamHost has a great marketing subject by calling it unlimited. But you and I don’t make sites like that, we build sites that require resources to enable a standard web experience for many concurrent users at once.

Because I work in this area of web tech, I am often there when a small business blogger hit the next level and can’t use shared hosting or “unlimited” plans any longer. And DreamHost (it being their forums) accommodates those other use cases well.

If I think about the stats you’ve shared, I imagine that your site easily generates enough income to cover the site, but I estimate it to be around $50 - $75 a month.

Also, “unlimited” hardware is never the best, whereas higher tier services are usually throwing distance from cutting edge.

It would not be cheaper, because the site would be slower, and that would mean less customers able to send me (or clients) money. I love building websites! But my job is to make it easier for people to make money, and I consider that when provisioning service for a project. :slight_smile:

I guess when you put it that way it makes more sense. However, Dreamhost’s Unlimited Policy has been phenomenal for me. I think they just don’t want media-heavy sites using multi-TB bandwidth for movie sharing and massive files being downloaded everywhere (bit torrents, movie sharing, mirror, distribution, etc), stuff that might be 100TB/mo vs my 1TB/mo bandwidth.

After figuring some stuff out, I think I’d have to pay an estimated extra $25 or so on my monthly bill, but could save some money on DreamCompute as they only charge for what you use, which could help bring that extra cost increase down. I’ll just have to continue reading the books and study more about it.

That’s exactly one of the scenarios that DreamObjects excels at: what’ is mysite.com/thumbnails/32/2/5/image3234.jpg in the end for your web application? It’s a URL. And that’s what that is for DreamObjects too: not a file, not a directory but just a URL. That’s one of the reasons why systems like DreamObjects are sometimes called ‘cloud native’ :slight_smile:

The thing is that if you want to use DreamObjects for your application, you’ll have to re-architect some of its pieces because uploading an image requires using the S3 APIs, not your usual uploads via http that end up in a filesystem. There is an overview of the S3 API on the KB, if you’re curious.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.