Why does DreamHost recommend PHP version 7.4 instead of PHP version 8.0?

Hello Forum;

My DreamHost recommends using PHP version 7.4 for my websites. I’m using PHP version 8.0 for a new website that I am developing. Everything seems to work fine.

I am wondering why my hosting control panel recommends PHP ver. 7.4 instead of PHP ver. 8.0?

I would appreciate commentary or input.

Thank you in advance.

Pete Norris

At any give time, there are 3 supported versions of PHP, and new versions are released yearly. Currently the supported versions are 7.3, 7.4 and 8.0, (note: PHP 8.1 has just been released, so the supported versions will shift in the next few months).

Reasonably, Dreamhost defaults to the middle version (7.4). Probably this is done to avoid incompatibilities with the very latest PHP. It can easily take a year for web software to be updated to run with the latest PHP, so defaulting to 8.x could be frustrating, especially for novice users.

By definition, the middle PHP version was released 1-2 years ago, so most software will be compatible with it.

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.