Why activeCollab?

apps

Within the last few days, activeCollab was added to the one-click installed, presumably to fill the gap of project management systems.

Why activeCollab? For one, activeCollab is a bit of a new kid on the block. It doens’t have a very large community, doens’t have many features, and doesn’t have many modules.

At first, I thought that this was Acollab, a groupware program that integrates well with Atutor. Acollab is very established, and has a decent user base.

IMO, a better choice would have been eGroupWare… it’s pretty much the most all-inclusive in its class.

Well, the decision was up to one of the DH honchos most likely and for some they decided they liked this activecollab better. It may be because of how well it works with the DH system compared to other choices, or it could have been because of how the install process works and this one was the most adapted to integrating into the one click installer.

All in all, they chose it, and it’s probably gonna stick. If you want a different software package for whatever reason you can just install it for your self - the one click installs are just provided as a convience, not as your only choice.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

yea… i use egroupware (phpcollab a bit) on mine… it just seems odd that the majority of the software in 1ci is the best known/best established of that particular line, this being an exception.

activeCollab and eGroupWare aren’t even in the same class of applications, so a direct comparison is kind of silly. aC is for project management while eGW is “groupware”, which my corpspeak-to-English translator defines as “software management uses to pretend they’re getting stuff done”, as opposed to software that actually helps get stuff done.

Seriously though, I’m having trouble figuring out exactly what eGW does. Ok, so it’s “groupware”, which I think means some sort of Microsoft Exchange-type calendar/address book/e-mail type of thing. It doesn’t sound anything like aC, and their web site isn’t very helpful about explaining it. In any case, it’s a much more complicated application than aC and seems to attempt to solve different problems entirely.

activeCollab is new, but by nearly all reports it’s a very well designed (backend as well as interface), usable application. It mainly seems to appeal to the people who can’t or don’t want to use a third-party service like Basecamp. If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say that someone at DH probably falls into this group and so wants to support aC development and adoption.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.