Who'll be the registrar: New Dream Network or "Directi Pvt. Ltd."

After starting (and paying $9.99 for) a domain registration transfer of my existing .US domain to what I though was going to be DreamHost (a well-known and accountable company in the Great State of California :slight_smile: ), I received this email from do_not_reply@myorderbox.com:

[color=#0000CD]“DreamHost.com [Under Registrar: Directi Internet Solutions Pvt. Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com] has received a request from Happy DreamHost Customer on Thursday, Jun 9, 2011 for Directi Internet Solutions Pvt. Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com to become the new registrar of record, for [MYDOMAINNAME].us”[/color]

A DreamHost live chat person assured me that DreamHost would still be the registrar, but that’s not what the email says. So who’s going to be the registrar, really and officially?

Thanks!

P.S. I’ve transferred several .com/.org/.net registrations to DreamHost and have never seen such a weird message before. All my other domains are clearly listed with New Dream Network as the registrar.

Hi,

We’re all mainly DH customers on this forum and doubt our answers could be any more reassuring than that from DH live chat.

DH is not going to transfer registration without your explicit approval so I suggest you simply ignore the email which is probably spam.

Regards

Looks like the OP initiated a transfer but the ‘new’ register is not who he is expecting it to be.

I’m interested in the explanation here as well, but it’s one that andrewf is going to have to provide most likely…

they’ve likely outsourced that task…

it says on their website that they are an intermediary registrar http://publicdomainregistry.com/pricing/

I agree… but it would be nice to know if this arrangement applies to the original tlds .com .net .org .info or just the new recently announced registry additions.

and what implications it may have. If this is in fact a new arrangement then why are we not being told upfront?[hr]
The arrangement may very well be a good thing… but it’s also a marketing opportunity…

something like Dreamhost announces a new strategic partnership with blah blah blah… the benefits to all include these wonderful bullet points that follow…

Strategic partnership… competitive pricing… compelling B2B scenarios… zzz… mmm, donuts… ack, must have dozed off. Where was I?

Yes! Basically, we’ve teamed up with a company that can do these registrations for us. Getting set up as a registrar for a lot of the “new” top-level domains is a messy, expensive process, which sometimes even requires that you set up offices in the country the domain belongs to! When we did the math, we figured that we’d end up being able to offer a much better variety of domain registrations to you at a much better price this way.

So don’t worry about the new names you’ll see on some registrations — that’s just part of our plan to offer these new domains at affordable, competitive prices for you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information, Andrew. I still have a couple of questions and concerns.
[list=1]
[]Just to clarify: DreamHost (or New Dream Network) will no longer be listed as the registrar of certain/all (?) domain registrations transferred to DreamHost. Instead, the registrar will be »Directi Internet Solutions Pvt. Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com«, a company apparently based in Mumbai, India? Please confirm or correct.
[
]Does this apply to ALL new transfers, only those under the TLDs newly available for registrations through DreamHost, or only CERTAIN ones of those new TLDs? If the latter, which ones?
[]Are registrations still going to be private (without costing extra), in the same way they are now (e.g., »FOO.com Private Registrant FOO.com@proxy.dreamhost.com«)?
[
]Is the address of these proxy contacts going to be Brea, CA; Mumbai, India; …?
[]Can you post a sample whois response for a domain registered under the new scenario?
[
]Re »sometimes even requires that you set up offices in the country the domain belongs to«: We’re talking about a .US domain. Last time I checked, DreamHost still had offices in this country, no? Have California’s financial woes gotten so bad that it had to sell itself to another country? :wink: :wink:
[/list]

Easy for you to say. :wink: :wink:

My domains are hugely important for both my company’s and my personal professional identities. I can’t take afford to take any risks with them. If anyone were to mess with my domains, I need to know where to turn. This is easy if the registrar of record is on a leafy street in Orange Co., California. Not so easy if it is some d/b/a sub-sub-sub-entity which may or may not have offices in Mumbai (something that essentially is impossible for me to verify in a meaningful way).

In addition, the .US domain I’ve just tried to transfer is used for demos, development versions and logins for the customers in my regional area. It needs to be generic, trustworthy, and reassuringly local. The domain name is the region of a U.S. state, something like the made-up centralwestdakota.us, and customers and friends use sub domains like ACMEplumbing.centralwestdakota.us, littleleague.centralwestdakota.us. Having the Whois record show a non-U.S. registrar/proxy address would be unacceptable for my purposes.

Thanks a bunch for helping me figure this out.

P.S. Other than this hopefully resolvable new issue, I’ve been a huge DreamHost fan for five years. I was sooo happy when I read that I’d be able to consolidate all my domains in one place. I’d really hate it if I were forced to move over something so small (yet important to me).

[quote=“thorsten, post:7, topic:55369”]
Just to clarify: DreamHost (or New Dream Network) will no longer be listed as the registrar of certain/all (?) domain registrations transferred to DreamHost. Instead, the registrar will be »Directi Internet Solutions Pvt. Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com«, a company apparently based in Mumbai, India? Please confirm or correct.[/quote]
Correct for new domains; see below.

This will not apply to domains registered under our older TLDs (com/net/org/info), only to domains registered under new TLDs. I can’t rule out the possibility that we may partner with other registrars in the future for new TLDs, but for the moment I believe that Directi will be the only new name you see.

[quote]Are registrations still going to be private (without costing extra), in the same way they are now (e.g., »FOO.com Private Registrant FOO.com@proxy.dreamhost.com«)?

Is the address of these proxy contacts going to be Brea, CA; Mumbai, India; …?

Can you post a sample whois response for a domain registered under the new scenario?[/quote]
This depends on which TLD you’re registering a domain under. Not all registries allow private registrations — for instance, .US requires that the registrant’s contact information be visible in WHOIS. Where the registry permits private registrations, though, the proxy contact information will continue to be associated with our Brea postbox, just as existing ones are. Nothing changes in this regard.

Domain registrations which require non-private registration, or which require additional information for registration (e.g, .ASIA) will specifically ask you for this when you attempt to register the domain, as we’re aware that this will not necessarily be acceptable for all users.

If you want to see an example, you can check out the WHOIS information for “securityfla.ws” (which I have registered with private WHOIS). The exact details how the WHOIS information appears will differ from one registry to another, as every registry runs their own separate WHOIS servers.

.US is probably a bad example here — I don’t recall offhand which registries have this requirement, but I seem to remember a few of the European registries being among them.

For what it’s worth, the address of the registrar (e.g, New Dream Network or Directi) will generally not show up in domain registrations. None of the WHOIS entries (for any TLD) I checked had anything more extensive than name/email/phone, and .US specifically looks like this:

Sponsoring Registrar: DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM Registrar URL (registration services): www.publicdomainregistry.com

other than webmasters, i really doubt anyone looks at whois information.

[quote=“andrewf, post:8, topic:55369”]Not all registries allow private registrations — for instance, .US requires that the registrant’s contact information be visible in WHOIS. Where the registry permits private registrations, though, the proxy contact information will continue to be associated with our Brea postbox, just as existing ones are. Nothing changes in this regard.

Domain registrations which require non-private registration, or which require additional information for registration (e.g, .ASIA) will specifically ask you for this when you attempt to register the domain, as we’re aware that this will not necessarily be acceptable for all users.[/quote]
Hmm. I specifically initiated the transfer of this .US domain to take advantage of DreamHost’s private registration. GoDaddy did offer private registration for this domain, but wanted to charge extra (a lot more than the price of the domain itself. Because of this, I didn’t take 'em up on this offer. I suppose it’s possible that the UI didn’t account for the special .US case and trying to make the registration private ultimately would fail, I have no idea.)

In any case, if I can’t make the registration private, it doesn’t make sense to go through with the transfer. (And no, there was no note up front saying that this would be impossible.) I suppose that the transfer will automatically be canceled if I don’t click on the authorization link in the email. Would you then automatically refund the $9.99 you already charged me?

Cool! Combined with the continued presence of the Brea address for private registrations, this would actually work (for my puposes.) Good to know for any future registrations (that would allow private registrations.)

Thanks again for all the detailed info. Now I were where I’m at.

Yes – the transfer fee should be refunded to your account once the transfer has failed. Once that’s happened, you’re free to apply it towards a different transfer or registration.