WHOIS privacy

I saw that the WHOIS privacy section on the hosting features page mentioned hiding one’s e-mail and phone number, but does it hide your name as well? Thanks.

I saw that the WHOIS privacy section on the hosting features page mentioned hiding one’s e-mail and phone number, but does it hide your name as well? Thanks.

Yes, it does. All of your contact information will be hidden.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes

Basically when you do a whois on the domain it shows dreamhosts info (they get any contacts from it including any complaints.) You can if you want change it to show your own info. Remember that whois info has to show correct contact details.

Anything that comes in to dreamhost they will deal with or pass on to you.

$97 DISCOUNT with [color=#CC0000]DISCOM97[/color]
More codes

Actually, the email forwards to you and they trash written correspondence sent by mail. The phone number is just a recording that says to email you.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Remember that many registrars charge $20+/year for protection service when you’re looking at that $6.95 registration.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

All of this is very interesting, but I was just wondering about one thing. Since the registration with privacy option effectively lists Dreamhost in your place doesn’t that legally make them the owner of the lease for the domain?

No, it does not.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

OK, that’s good. I just wonder why many registrars don’t offer this privacy option then.

Actually quite a lot of registrars do offer this, it’s basically a standard option. As above, some places to charge extra for it, and others have funny “creative” names for it - but it’s still fairly common place.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

I am based in the UK and I looked around for one yesterday but had no luck. In the past I tried registering a couple of domains at GoDaddy. The suggestions facility for names is very useful, but I found the actual buying process a pain, so now I go there to decide on a name and then race over to register it at Dreamhost!

Yeah, and a lot of them charge extra for it. I’d guess that in this day and age, it would almost be a required feature. What major registrar doesn’t offer it?

BTW, your concerns about domain privacy aren’t totally unfounded. Even though the registrar only puts their contact information in the whois database, your registrar is the only source of information that directly connects the real you to domain. It’s not like there’s an external database that holds the private registration information.

The problem has rears its ugly head in situations like Registerfly where people had problems transferring their registration once Registerfly went under - or during the period where service went down the toilet. The problem being that the registrar is the only repository of the real domain ownership information. Of course, the Registerfly situation was interesting because in the case of some TLDs like .COM and .NET, the registry doesn’t actually hold the primary whois info anyway - it’s all held at the registrar! So if you don’t trust your registrar you’re going to be in trouble regardless of whether you use privacy or not.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

LOL! I do the same thing with my other host, BlueHost. I think I’m going to add in a suggestion for this.

Agreed. I go to enom for suggestions and buy from DH :slight_smile:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all plans by using promo code: SRVR97. More Here