Whois domain info & spam

I’m getting more and more spam, and I assume it is coming from spammers searching the whois database where I (foolishly) had a valueable address listed at one stage.

Weird thing is, I checked it at http://www.internic.net/whois.html and it only shows non-personal info, such as:

Registrant Name:SEE SPONSORING REGISTRAR
Registrant Street1:Whois Server:whois.opensrs.net
Registrant Street2:Referral URL:www.opensrs.org
Registrant City:N/A
Registrant Postal Code:N/A
Registrant Country:CA
Registrant Email:not@available.org

Figured it was a cunning domainitron cloaking thingy at work. Silly me didn’t realise that other sites that offer whois queries show all your personal details…

Does anyone have any tips at getting around this issue?

Zilch

[quote]Does anyone have any tips at getting around this issue?

[/quote]

Use information that’s valid but not personal - use a PO Box and voice mail number if possible, and don’t use your real email address - use a throwaway account you can change later.

I’m hoping we can get it setup so that domain registrations don’t default to the customer’s account information – I’ve been asking for this change for quite a while.

[quote]… and don’t use your real email address - use a throwaway account you can change later.

[/quote]

Hmm … I’m not sure if that’s a good idea, frankly.

Yours Truly, nameslave

nameslave.com - Buying and selling domain names since 1997
HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting

Why not?

I don’t mean an account you don’t check… .I just mean an account that isn’t your main account and that you can safely get rid of once it becomes inundated with spam. Most people have a generic webmail account for this purpose, or else you can setup a specific alias (regspam@example.com).

I’m new to this, so please don’t throw rocks at me. I also know that this post is a few days old, but it relates to a concern I had.

My old host didn’t have such detailed status reports and I was wondering if it’s normal to look at your site stats and see that someone has looked up your detailed WhoIs information.

I followed the link under the referral report section, and it wasn’t a general WhoIs, (like the example in the first post) but the one with my name, address, and everything. I’d figure it was somebody just about to spam me, but why would a spammer look up my detailed information, then actually go to my site?

Any thoughts, at all, would be helpful. And, oh… paranoia is just a heightened sense of reality. :blush:

I’ve found this a few times in my logs. I put it down to:

Spambots actually requesting your website to make sure your domain exists and is still active. Good way for them to make sure they have correct records in your database.

Or I’ve often seen people do a whois lookup to see if a domain is legitimate. I’ve often seen this happen for small retailers, where people want to check up on you before making an online purchase or commitment. Maybe?

• wil

[quote]I’d figure it was somebody just about to spam me, but why would a spammer look up my detailed information, then actually go to my site?

[/quote]

From what I know, spammers DON’T look up your detailed info at all, and that’s why they are SPAMMERS in the first place. Those who actually spend time researching contact info are aggressive marketing people at the worst. :wink:

Yours Truly, nameslave

nameslave.com - Buying and selling domain names since 1997
HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting

Thanks for the input, y’all. I find this rather interesting. I’m not naive about very much, but had no idea that there was such a thing as WhoIs where you could look up someone’s information like that until I had my own website.

I know why the information must be provided, but also find it an invasion of privacy. I did consider getting a P.O. box, but in the end it wasn’t worth it. My computer geek friend told me it was all good and that everybody with a site had to do it.

I was also a little freaked out that it was some stalker with nothing better to do than find out exactly who I am, where I live, what I eat for breaky etc. I’d rather that it WAS some marketing thing.

Does anybody have an opinion as to whether or not your average internet user knows this function is even available? I’ve been on the net for years, and like I said, I never knew about this until I had my own site. I hope I’m not getting too off topic.

And yeah, if somebody was going to send hate mail about religious opinions or HP being “evil”, it’d probably be to me. I don’t mind that, but they could do it over the email like normal people. Besides, they don’t want to get me in person or on the phone!

I had someone who was pissed at me fill me out on the Navy, Army… sites and I have been getting calls ever sense. Here is the funny thing: I don’t think they want me in the army. I should just send them a pic so they stop calling :stuck_out_tongue:

willscorner.net