Who is the Dreamhost of email?

If Dreamhost gives stellar web service (including ‘unlimited’ domains and ‘unlimited’ users) but sucks at email, then we also need to find the converse:

a company which provides a rock solid email service (for ‘unlimited’ domains and ‘unlimited’ users) at a similar price to what Dreamhost charges for web, i.e. 10 dollars a month.

That rules out any email company which charges per user (or per email address).

For my 10 dollars a month I want:

MX for many domains, each with many email addresses, including a catch-all.

Limits would be a reasonable cap on storage (say 15GB) and a reasonable cap on the number of emails that can be sent per hour.

Suggestions welcome.

Dreamhost is the Dreamhost of email - In that you get what you pay for.

There is a reason there are no amazing $10/month unlimited email services - email is a nightmare to support.

If email is mission critical to you and your users, it’s an expense that you should be able to afford.

“You get what you pay for” does not apply to email. I am getting better email service for free, from gmail, than I got for $10 per month from dreamhost, except that gmail lacks custom domain.

Unfortunately, a misguided notion of “professionalism” has fooled countless small businesses into accepting the idea that paid-for email pricing should be based on the number of users.

While you’re not paying money for gmail, it certainly isn’t free. The cost of your free gmail account is subsidized by data collection and advertisements. Gmail offers it as a free service because the crux of their business relies on knowing as much about their users as possible. In fact, your account at Google is worth about $180 to them. http://howmuch.net/articles/worth-user-social-tech-companies

Additionally, “free” gmail has no SLA or any other obligations to you, the user. If they decide to close your mailbox tomorrow, without warning you, they can.

So yes, you do get what you pay for. There is a reason fortune-500 companies don’t just run all their email off a $10/month plan at Dreamhost.

That’s not a super helpful reply.

(1) The article you link to seems to be a joke.

(2) You say ‘“free” gmail has no SLA or any other obligations to you, the user’, but I’ve received much more valuable email service, without SLA, from gmail, than I’ve received, with SLA, from Dreamhost. SLA seems fairly useless in practice. Once Dreamhost credited my account with $10. Very kind of them but it didn’t cover the loss I had suffered.

(3) Fortune-500 companies are obviously not relevant to this discussion. What is relevant, are organizations that would typically be customers (for webhosting) of Dreamhost. For example, small businesses with 1 to 5 employees, or clubs with 10 to 50 members. The question is, where should they get their email.