Where's email stored / email backup

I am considering DH.

1. Do they store email on a separate server or in the home-dir (or any other directory accessible through the filesystem)?
    1a) How do you backup your mail? I am considering rsyncing the filestructure if it is accessible.
  2. Is there a per-mailbox limit?
  3. Is there attachement size limit?
  4. Is it possible to use SSL with IMAP and SMTP with DH?

Thank you.

On DreamHost mail is stored in the Maildir directory within your Home directory. Accessing the data should not be a problem.

Only if you decide to set one. You can set the storage limit on any mailbox you create, up to the limits of your particular hosting account.

Yes. The attachment limit is 40MB for both incoming and outgoing mail.

Yes, but apparently you may encounter problems with IMAP/SSL when accessing mail.yourdomain.com, due to the DreamHost SSL certificate being for mail.dreamhost.com. More information can be found at the link below;

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/KB_/Email/_POP3/IMAP/SMTP_Servers

Mark

Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code “SAVEFIFTY” ( Click for details )

And for 1a)

I don’t believe there is an auto way to backup email.

Rails Hosting - DH supports Ruby on Rails!
[color=#CC0000]Tip - use the DreamHost promo code X50 to get $50 off any of their plans instantly[/color]

1a) How do you backup your mail? I am considering rsyncing the filestructure if it is accessible.

Yes, you can do this. As previously mentioned, DH uses Maildir format mailboxes, which means, among other things, that all the mail is stored in your home directory and is easily accessible via scp, rsync, or whatever.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

The spam filtering is quite lame so I recommend you spend an extra $30 or so and forward your email to spamcop.net

What plan is best for you? Compare from this list and select the best plan

You should be aware that access to your mail in Maildir format is only possible if you set up a full “user” on your domain for each mail account you want to backup. Then when you create a new mail address you have to select the option that says “also deliver to this DreamHost mailbox:” and in the dropdown that says “Mailbox Login:” select the user you just created.

You will then be able to login either via FTP or shell (depending on which you selected) and access the files to backup. If you created your user with shell access then yes you can use rsync to backup the maildir files. If not you can use an FTP client to do it.

If you don’t create a full domain user as above then you’ll get a mXXXX type mail user that you cannot access the files of. If that is the case your only alternatives are a) hope that DreamHost support can recover your mail account in the event of data loss or b) use one of the many IMAP backup programs that will let your backup ANY mail account regardless of whether you can access its maildir files.

I’ve read messages from people who did get DreamHost support to recover their email for them - I’m not sure what the circumstances were but regardless I would recommend you do your own backups.

Obligatory and shameless DreamHost discount plug: Get the maximum discount available for all DreamHost plans by entering the code TECHTIMEMAX at checkout - up to $97 off most plans!

The spam filtering is quite lame so I recommend you spend an extra $30 or so and forward your email to spamcop.net

Assuming the spamcop filtering service uses the same block list they make available via DNS, I’d recommend against it. It’s quite indiscriminate and pretty much guaranteed to filter legitimate mail.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.